Whilst my seat upholstery is in pretty good nick, there is the TR equivalent of dandruff cascading beneath the seats coupled with a gentle deflation over the past few years. At least it's not in my other car so I'm assuming it's not me...

Even with a vaguely better exchange rate vs the pound now, the cost of a bit of foam from the usual suppliers seems a bit sporting so I was pondering getting hold of some upholstery foam myself and giving it a go. Has anyone done this and has sage advice (such as: don't be a fool)? Better still, has the dimensions to cut the foam to?

Cheers

Matt the kiwi.

Matt

Looking at the same thing

I have started here

https://www.efoam.co.uk

Not got much further, but, will copy infor to you as I get it

Some while ago (and due to my distance from any TR supplier) I ended up making my own foam up.

Long story short, but the base foam had disintegrated, but the bolster foam was in reasonable shape.

With a bit of patience you can tease and cut off with a sharp snap off blade knife the bolster foam from the base foam.

Then, with some suitably thick foam (something like closed cell rubber foam (used in sofas etc)) you can sculpt the shape you need with an electric carving knife..works really well believe it or not!

Im sure with a bit of patience you can also craft the bolster bits if needed.

Bit of thin foam over the joint area to smooth it all out and some hessian underneath to protect the foam from the diaphragm.

Some pics from a long time ago :-

IMG_0098_1.jpg

IMG_0099.jpg

Hi Matt!

I renewed my seats14 years ago! Have owned the car from new, even the I found it a costly exercise. Seat frames needed welding in many places to start off with and so on. The base padding on both my seats was a Dunlop Pillow Moulding and not Foam, check yours. The cause of sagging on the base was the rubber diaphragm, this I replaced, on the base of the seat frame. I kept the DP but packed it underneath with 1 1/2"" high density foam. I found on my seats that BL only used foam on the seat backs, this I also replaced + the webbing + covers. I was very pleased with the result but I have noticed that the seat bases are starting to go soft again.

Next time I would go for MX 5 seats.

Bruce.

Thanks guys (keep em coming please...)

I have redone the diaphragms-did make a difference but at the rate of shedding I might only have that left...

Covers are v good so I think it's just the foam/moulding & the webbing.

I can't but help think that the cost of some local materials and an electric bread knife is a better option.

Very unsure about MX5 seats. I know people rave about them but I somehow prefer the original look...perhaps not for comfort. I can always store some for the future.

Matt

I have cut foam for seating on my boats in the past and the guys are right, with a bit of practiced care, the electric knife is the right way to go.

I think that I am going to take Andrews advice, buy some foam and go for it . . . . . . .Carefully!

Edited by wjgco

Matt,

My suspicions are that if you have foam in your seat bases, is that, this foam is not original? I asked 2 other members of our group last night, who have refurbed their seats and they also had Dunlop Pillow Mouldings. If you go down the foam route to make your own shapes, only use high density fire resistant foam, for seat padding, as it lasts much longer before it starts to crumble.

Bruce,

Matt,

My suspicions are that if you have foam in your seat bases, is that, this foam is not original? I asked 2 other members of our group last night, who have refurbed their seats and they also had Dunlop Pillow Mouldings. If you go down the foam route to make your own shapes, only use high density fire resistant foam, for seat padding, as it lasts much longer before it starts to crumble.

Bruce,

I've been looking around

https://www.anyfoam.co.uk/sheet-foam.php

http://www.gbfoamdirect.co.uk/For-Boat-Cushions/

http://www.thefoamshop.co.uk/page/151/FOAM-GRADES-EXPLAINED

Edited by wjgco

Matt,

Bruce,

OK, entirely possible that PO put something else in there and TBH I'm not entirely sure what on earth it might be. It might be worth my while talking to a local upholsterer to ask what they put in these things these days... it might even be cheaper for them to do it than ordering the kit (but I'm not holding my breath there)

Those links useful John to see what everything is etc. Ta.

I started this last night, which worked out how the cover is attached and how to remove. So this morning started the removal but the vertical (back) part of seat on the front face the cover, is held by a piece of the fabric built into the seat, at half height, cannot work out how to free it. Currently a dreadful mess. From the photo, I have put a red line along where its held down.

Update:

Soon as posted original realised the material was held around base of upright with one clip, material different colour foolled me at first.

See photo of this and with seat cover removed.

post-12623-0-68267100-1478598812_thumb.jpg

post-12623-0-24194400-1478599832_thumb.jpg

post-12623-0-65754300-1478599841_thumb.jpg

Edited by Dave Smith

I'm just going to replace the two back side strips of the seats, which had totally disintegrated. See above photo. Looking at WJGCO link to any foam, this originally looks like their reconstituted foam, which is very dense and firm. I am tempted to use their firm foam for this, to avoid the possible disintegration of the recon foam. These side panels do need to very firm foam. Also not sure how easy to cut the recon foam. The base looks ok and the main foam on the back looks ok, the TR6 is fairly low mileage, hence not much wear over the last 40 yrs, so decided to do a minimium job for now.

Anyone brought foam yet and which type.

These side pieces are about 2 inch thick at main part of back and rises to about 3.5 inch at its edge at the base, also decreases with height.

Will go for 4 inch thick foam.