Steering improvements

Silentbloc & Pin - replacements

My brother's TR2 has the Revington phosphor bronze bushes and pins fitted and my TR3A has the Moss Delrin bushes and pins fitted.

For our money there is no obvious difference when driving either of the cars.

I suspect in service the Delrin ones on my car will wear faster than the phosphor bronze bushes. The phospor bronze ones we have are greaseable whereas the Delrin has no lubrication system other than the inherent self lubricating properties of the Delrin bush.

Steering Idler with phospor bronze bushes. replacements

The ones fitted to both our cars I made using 5/8" close tolerance bolts from my old aircraft spares stock. The bushes in the idler housing are regular TR lower wishbone/trunion pin bushes plus bronze thrust washers. (pt no 101615 - 2 per housing)

Phosphor bronze flanged bushes are available from the usual bearing suppliers -- you will want 5/8 id x 3/4 od x 1 1/8 at about a fiver each -- http://simplybearings.co.uk/shop/Bearings-Oil-Filled-Bronze-Bushes-Oil-Filled-Bronze-Flange-Bushes/c3_4511_4771/index.html

Work involved machining the idler housing, drilling for a grease nipple, cutting out the old pin from the lever & welding the bolt back in. Then set the end float of the lever in the housing.

I note the Revington one has a big slotted nut and split pin to set the end float & stop it all coming adrift.

Peter W

Edited by BlueTR3A-5EKT
  • 2 weeks later...

Having fitted the above geometry kit, I can say that bump steer is considerably reduced, but the most noticeable improvement was that the car would almost want to go around a corner, rather than resisting it.

Bob.

+1... I'd also say that the kit reduces the vagueness of the steering when travelling straight. I find I'm no longer see-sawing at the wheel to keep the car going in a straight line.

I was considering changing to rack & pinion but, since fitting this geometry kit, I won't bother.

• 5 years later...
On 10/26/2016 at 10:34 PM, Lebro said:

Fit late TR4 3° castor trunnions, & Late TR4 onwards upper wishbones

Fit Revingtons "Steering geometry" kit

Fit Revingtons (or Bastuck) adjustable upper fulcrum kit, & set to a small amount of -ve camber

Fit Revingtons sprung steering box peg kit.

& of course make sure all bushes, springs, & shockers are OK. Polybushes are best IMO

Bob.

Exellent suggestions   the Revington parts   are not totally obvious but if you are looking  for them then will see them certainly the steerinhg idler converstion  are well worth it 

On 10/31/2016 at 8:11 PM, BlueTR3A-5EKT said:

Silentbloc & Pin - replacements

My brother's TR2 has the Revington phosphor bronze bushes and pins fitted and my TR3A has the Moss Delrin bushes and pins fitted.

For our money there is no obvious difference when driving either of the cars.

I suspect in service the Delrin ones on my car will wear faster than the phosphor bronze bushes. The phospor bronze ones we have are greaseable whereas the Delrin has no lubrication system other than the inherent self lubricating properties of the Delrin bush.

Steering Idler with phospor bronze bushes. replacements

The ones fitted to both our cars I made using 5/8" close tolerance bolts from my old aircraft spares stock. The bushes in the idler housing are regular TR lower wishbone/trunion pin bushes plus bronze thrust washers. (pt no 101615 - 2 per housing)

Phosphor bronze flanged bushes are available from the usual bearing suppliers -- you will want 5/8 id x 3/4 od x 1 1/8 at about a fiver each -- http://simplybearings.co.uk/shop/Bearings-Oil-Filled-Bronze-Bushes-Oil-Filled-Bronze-Flange-Bushes/c3_4511_4771/index.html

Work involved machining the idler housing, drilling for a grease nipple, cutting out the old pin from the lever & welding the bolt back in. Then set the end float of the lever in the housing.

I note the Revington one has a big slotted nut and split pin to set the end float & stop it all coming adrift.

Peter W

Peter,

Any idea when the Revington steering kit was introduced? The restorer of KST 277, Mark Mason, told me he had fitted it. Now that would have been no later than April 1994, judging from the dates.

I was reading this thread and it made me wonder (not wander(!)).

The car's steering is certainly arrow-straight. No sign of wandering whatsoever. Can it be as long ago as then?

David

On 10/27/2016 at 8:35 PM, Motorsport Mickey said:

The Revington kit is to help eliminate "Bump Steer".

This is where when one or both wheels hits a bump (or hollow ) in the road which changes two things at once. Firstly it changes the camber angle and also the tracking of the car, gives an impression of a drunken passenger leaning over and snatching the steering wheel.

To give you an idea of how bad it is when you have the body off the car take out the suspension springs from the front and jack the car up on a trolley jack to the top of it's operating range (probably to about 6" from ground level to the bottom of the chassis). If you have the body off the car you can observe the front of the road wheels and tyres as you drop the chassis on the trolley jack smoothly. You'll be amazed at the amount the tyres and wheels first point one way and the other whilst the chassis travels through it's suspension range, I've altered over half a dozen race or road cars and the worst I've found is a change from to toe in to toe out of 14mm ! That's a major steering change and when it happens in action and in real time makes the car handle very badly. On a windy up window model (TR4 through to TR7) it's easy and cheap to check and change the steering geometry by lifting or dropping the steering rack to eliminate it. The sidescreen cars are more difficult because the steering box is fixed but you can alter the Steering arms by heating and bending (this is what Peter W describes in his earlier post), and what Revington can supply with the work cut out for you.

If you want an easy way to measure your Bump Steer that you can do yourself PM me your e mail address and I'll send a little article (with photo) that describes and shows how to do it. This is also available to all other members who may want it (currently over 100 other members have so far requested it).

Mick Richards

Mick,

If possible, would you send me a digital version of this article? It sounds useful for the Bonanza Collection"?

Ciao for now,

David