I really enjoyed a great afternoon when I covered over 80 miles in the 3A. The engine ran cool, The new hub extensions have removed the dreadful squeaking and groaning.

Now I have rattle from the front nearside hinge when the engine is running. Where is best supplier for a new hinge.?Maybe they all come from the same supplier.

It shows that the problems are getting smaller which means much greater enjoyment from driving in the sun on a crisp autumn day with not much traffic.

The clutch is working very well but I am unable to select reverse without crashing the gears. Is there a gearbox man out there who can identify the reason? All other changes are smooth and easy. The slave rod is adjusted as per the manual.

Thanks Richard & H.

...Now I have rattle from the near side hinge when the engine is running...

The clutch is working very well but I am unable to select reverse without crashing the gears. Is there a gearbox man out there who can identify the reason? All other changes are smooth and easy. The slave rod is adjusted as per the manual...

You're sure it's the hinge? A common source of rattled is the bonnet prop rod, which I guess would be offside. But sounds can move around, so good to be sure.

You are lifting the lever before engaging reverse, yes?

You're sure it's the hinge? A common source of rattled is the bonnet prop rod, which I guess would be offside. But sounds can move around, so good to be sure.

Nearside to us old boy -_-

You are lifting the lever before engaging reverse, yes?

Don't see how that stops it "crunching" ?

A commonly used method to engage reverse (or 1st if no synchro) is to pull the lever partly into another gear (2,3,or top) to stop the gears spinning, then quickly into reverse (or 1st)

I do this automatically even in modern cars.

Bob.

Bob.

Hinges

The hinge rattle has become worse. This is useful because I now know that it is the bonnet side half of the hinge touching the scuttle. The bonnet is vibrating slightly and that part of the hinge is moving and presumably wearing out the pin. While I wait to find new quality hinges a thicker gasket under the scuttle half should knock out the noise.

Gear selection

Lifting the gear knob makes no difference and there is no movement anyway. The release bearing needs to be replaced so maybe this is the time to upgrade the bearing carrier. Is bronze the way to go? What else should we look at to be able to select reverse without noise?

Thanks for the help so far.

Richard & H.

Hinges

The hinge rattle has become worse. This is useful because I now know that it is the bonnet side half of the hinge touching the scuttle. The bonnet is vibrating slightly and that part of the hinge is moving and presumably wearing out the pin. While I wait to find new quality hinges a thicker gasket under the scuttle half should knock out the noise.

I cut a 3/4" long piece of 1/4" fuel pipe down one side of its length and slipped it on the scuttle flange under the hinge. That lifted the bonnet slightly and stopped tha rattle.

Gear selection

Lifting the gear knob makes no difference and there is no movement anyway. The release bearing needs to be replaced so maybe this is the time to upgrade the bearing carrier. Is bronze the way to go? What else should we look at to be able to select reverse without noise?

Bronze carrier is standard fitment on 3 synchro cars withh spring type clutch.

How high is your tickover - slightly lower might help a bit.

Peter W

Thanks for the help so far.

Richard & H.

Edited by BlueTR3A-5EKT