HARD TOP FOR CONVERTABLE

Hi, I've just got a hard top for my Convertable.

It's got the hook shaped bolts to attach it, but not the body mounts. Does anyone know where the body mounts attach - I assume its using the hood attachment bolts. (I can sort  out some mounts, I think).

A pic would be handy if any one has one.

I would also like to connect up the heated rear window. Any suggestions?

Thanks

Ian

Hi Ian, can't help at all on your first query, but re the HRW, use a hefty cable (rated for 30+ amps) with ignition powered switch to operate a relay switched battery supply, with an in-line fuse, and a similar weight earth return cable.   For ease of detatchment, I'd fit a plug to the screen end and a socket at nearest convenient point, so you can disconnect when going topless.   Maplin Electronics have good range and supply of switches or try local factors or even Halfords!

WWWEATER,

What I can remember is the hard top hook on the back using the J bolts onto the Hood frame. The front of the Hardtop fit same as the Convertable hood using the two silver chrome handles to secure it down. You will find it better to unfasten the softtop back rail fixings and tuck it. This allows the Hardtop to sit better to your rear deck panel. The Hardtop should have a rubber strip fitted, to the face sitting onto your bodywork so protecting your paintwork.

Regards

Jin Johnson

Look in the boot,LH side near the wheelarch,you will see a white/black wire with a plug on the end not doing anything.This is the heated rear screen wire(normally only used in the FHC)connect into this.Then remove the switch panel on the dash,you will find an unused plug,connect the heated rear window switch into this.Job done,no need for relays,fuses it's all there already.
Guest wedge fan

Fantastic stuff, this was going to be my next question now I have my hard top sorted, how to wire up the heated rear window.  I found a switch from a FHC on ebay for a couple of quid so now I know where to attach it I should be ready for the winter months!

Regards,

David.

Ray,

Although that is the reason that wire is there,we also use it to connect the main fuel pump feed into when doing the V8 conversion.Then just connect a HRW switch on the dash as I said before......hey presto,fuel pump cut out.Turn it off whenever you leave the car,if someone steals it they would never think of turning the HRW on.

BTW don't tell Simon that I am giving all our secrets away :D  :D

Steve... No disrespect, but not the sort of information to put on an open forum, me thinks.... !  Every little helps to keep those with sticky fingers and a quick buck in mind off our cars!  Maxwell  :cool:

no need for relays,fuses it's all there already.

What current does the HRW take?   I'd still opt for relay if over 5A.......................

The HRW has a 15amp fuse,but remember this is the factory fitted circuit for the FHC we are talking about.

The HRW circuit is one of the least problematic circuits on the TR7.

Steve... No disrespect, but not the sort of information to put on an open forum, me thinks.... !  Every little helps to keep those with sticky fingers and a quick buck in mind off our cars!  Maxwell  :cool:

Opps :P  good point Andrew...........I'll get me coat and go and stand outside  :D  :D

The HRW has a 15amp fuse,but remember this is the factory fitted circuit for the FHC we are talking about.

The HRW cicuit is one of the least problematic circuits on the TR7.

I'd assume the HRW would be around 10Amps if it has 15A fuse.   Resistive OE fused circuits are usually allowed around 50% overload margin.

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
hi, can you tell me where i can get a hard top for my convertible? thanks

i'm uploading a picture of what im after

Hi

A company called Lenham made them for thr TR7, although they ceased production some years ago, I have noticed some on ebay over the past 12 months, 3 to be precise.

A guy has just sold a TR7 DHC this week for just over £600, it looked quite tidy, although he never mentioned the hartdtop in the advert it was pictured and I believe sold with the car, it is worthwhile looking at the ads in detail for convertibles.

Hope this helps.