Roll bars please vote

I'm getting to the point where I need to make a decision and I'm struggling.

I have narrowed it down to these 2

http://www.revingtontr.com/product/rtr9047-3hbr/name/rob-comp-tr2-3b-removable-diag-harness-bar-rhd

Or

http://www.racetorations.co.uk/triumphs-c56/tr2-c3/tr2-roll-cages-and-safety-devices-c87/racetorations-rear-roll-hoop-rhd-p831

(And now Kevin's suggestion)

Is there any benefits to the 2 different fixing points.

Help from experience appreciated

H

Edited by Hamish

Hi Hamish

I couldn't see whether these were bolt in or welded, and which you prefer?

I always used Safety Devices cages in the past. Here's a link to a supplier of these. You might find you save some dough too, as by the time these products have made their way to Revington etc, there's been a few top-ups on the way!

http://www.corbymotorsport.com/triumph-rear-roll-cage-c-53_670_1426/

Regards

Kevin

Hi they are both bolt in

One on the inner wheel arch by all 4 points

the other is lower on chassis and the inner wheel arch

I installed the Revington one purely cos I wanted to have secure belts. Excellent design (by Neil R), easy to fit, does not interfere with soft top or hardtop. Removable diagonal is sensible....it does obscure rear view mirror view on the road.10/10 in my opinion.

Iain

Personally I'd prefer a roll over bar that bolts all the way down to the floor and/or chassis, which has a potential substantial benefit it terms of sideways intrusion . . . . . as in being t-boned on a roundabout for example, or collecting a telephone pole or tree sideways on.

I have to admit to some prejudice here, as neither I nor the V8 Lady would be still here if we'd had to rely on anything less than a proper floor-mounted rob in various past high speed prangs !

Cheers

Alec

Alec

Honoured that you have taken the time to advise me. Have seen your personal postings. And whilst I am a new 'a. n. Other' on here I wish you well and every success :-)

H

Whilst you're sensibly fitting a Roll bar don't forget to spend the extra £60 and fit an Alloy rear Firewall panel behind the hardboard cockpit panel in front of the fuel tank.

Sealed in place with intumescent sealer or Indasa windscreen sealant and riveted every 25mm around the frame it will buy you that invaluable time to get yourself and your passenger from out of the car in the event of an incident that splits the fuel tank, (a roll over or a side intrusion by white van man at a junction). The comedy hardboard panel has been found to live up to it's nickname in as much as being a joke when put to the test of keeping 10 gallons of best petrol out of the cockpit (even worse when it's alight !) and away from the occupants.

If the RAC demand that you have one fitted before letting you take part in Motorsport (and they do) then I for one am not going to be less safe on the public roads, my missus normally accompanies me.

Mick Richards

I notice that neither product spec includes reinforcement plates, that must be welded to the floor, or to the footplate.

See MSA Blue Book Section K (Safety), Para 1.3.2 https://www.msauk.org/assets/153191commonregulationsforcompetitorssafetyk.pdf

John

I have an uninstalled fire wall for sale - still in Rev' packet - no point installing now - available at 2/3 whatever std price is plus £5 for courier (sorry Neil :ph34r: )

ps, do the relevant comp regs allow a roll bar to be bolted to chassis - stiffening ?

They did when I had mine to fitted.

Mick Richards

I have an uninstalled fire wall for sale - still in Rev' packet - no point installing now - available at 2/3 whatever std price is plus £5 for courier (sorry Neil :ph34r: )

ps, do the relevant comp regs allow a roll bar to be bolted to chassis - stiffening ?

You have a PM McMuttley!

Hi

the Revington Kit certainly has reinforcing plates which can either be bolted ( effectively clamping the wheel arch material)or welded into the wheel arches.

Out of interest are the MSA regulations applicable to pre 65 cars w.r.t ROPS? No question you would be a fool not to use a ROPS, but are they?

Iain

Edited by iain

I believe ROPs are not compulsory in speed events with 'period defined vehicle' eg sprints and hill climbs as the tr events.

But as has been said before it's an added safety device and as (apart from over one shoulder and lap strap type belt !!!) 4 point harness are min.

You'll be 'strapped' to the car so the hoop becomes more important.

Looks like welding the 120sq cm plate to each ROP foot is the least invasive on the car !

You cannot have any part of the roll cage attached to the chassis for fia legality.

A bolt in cage with spreader plates are very effective

Tom

That's FIA, is it all regs as per Motorsport ?

Mick Richards

Does anyone have experience of the Corby motors TR3a safety devices version ?

I have emailed them to see if you can still operate the hood and frame ( as the others claim) but they haven't answered as yet.

I don't want people to fall out about fia/msa blue book interpretation. As it's clear it's a minefield.

I was trying to determine which design was better.

Alec seems to have experience and preferance. Which is useful.

Still open to opinion from those that have been through scrutineering for the club sprint/hillclimb events.

Or if we have a scrutineer on the forum ?!?

Ta

H

Mick

No it is not ,to spread the load is ok but nobody would fail if it was down to the chassis

Would fail inspection for FIA etc if the cage is integral to the chassis.

Classed as strengthening and multipointing that is illegal.

Does anyone have experience of the Corby motors TR3a safety devices version ?

I have emailed them to see if you can still operate the hood and frame ( as the others claim) but they haven't answered as yet.

I don't want people to fall out about fia/msa blue book interpretation. As it's clear it's a minefield.

I was trying to determine which design was better.

Alec seems to have experience and preferance. Which is useful.

Still open to opinion from those that have been through scrutineering for the club sprint/hillclimb events.

Or if we have a scrutineer on the forum ?!?

Ta

H

You can run any cage you like in the sprint & hillclimb championship. You don't even have to run a cage in some instances......

Feel free to call me tomorrow hamish...

I will call Dallas and find out fact for you

Look forward to hearing the reply...

You can also get the facts in the blue book ????

Suppose I could call Jim too...

Tom

Had one or two longer than your age young man ;) I will report back

Very true Neil, it's not like I have prepared any cars recently for FIA inspection......

..... Oh, hang on.... ????????????????

Roll cages on a separate chassis vehicle cannot be joined to said chassis.

You just want a rear cage? Fit as manufacturers instructions and you won't go far wrong. Want to know the rules for a specific championship? Talk to the organisers

Tom

Edited by Tom Boyd