V8 rotor arms and slant-4 condensers

A trio of proper quality items recently introduced by my old pal Martin Jay, Dissie Doc . . . . . . and no, I'm not on commission before you ask !! :P

http://www.distributordoctor.com/new_parts_available.html

The AC Delco condensers have plagued me in the past, the OE items were never much cop and the subsequent Unipart, CI etc repros worse, these things from DD should work properly as they come from the same guys who make his top notch Lucas condensers.

His agent in India seems to be doing an excellent job from what I've seen - not surprisingly, the chaps actually manufacturing Martin's items are delighted to be able to make things up to a standard rather than down to a price. No question, they do a bloody good job. Sure they cost more, quality does.

The other two items are V8 rotor arms, again pukka spec and both versions. New supplier, and the rotors look to me like the dog's danglies. 5 year guarantee against manufacturing defect, even in competition application, must be a record ?

There are plenty of budget 'one size fits all' repros on offer, but unfortunately by trying to cover both applications in one design these things don't do a decent job in either fitment . . . . . as in they do work, but only just, and certainly not a high rpm.

Admittedly the budget onesies are much cheaper, but you get what you pay for . . . . . and what's the point in a V8 that won't rev cleanly ?

Cheers

Alec

First comment I get, why made in India . . . . . ??

The Indians built Standard cars until 1988, which is about the time I started dealing with Indian engineered products in a local company employment.

All that obsolete manufacturing plant that went to India from the Midlands - from the 1950s through the 1990s . . . . . along with the guys who knew how to use it, and trained the Indian workforces. They've kept up the old apprenticeship traditions in Asia, the knowledge has been handed down - not like here where we're having to reinvent it. They can do the stuff we've forgotten how to, and if they're incentivised appropriately they can make it as well and probably better than Joe Lucas' chaps ever did.

An Indian craftsman is no different than a British or a German craftsman - given the opportunity he'd always prefer to make real good stuff than churn out mediocre product.

Yes I know there's lots of cheap **** from India, just as there is from Italy, China, Turkey and Whereveristan. But there's also some bloody good stuff comes out of the same countries, always providing the UK commissioning importer has the right man on the spot who can achieve the quality control from the local manufacturers.

It's building up that long term personal relationship that takes real effort and a lot of time, and as I'm very well aware Martin has put years into achieving exactly the results he requires. Hidden costs that we don't necessarily think about, but which are essential if you want the quality.

Cheers

Alec

• 2 weeks later...

Alec, I've never been dissapointed by parts sold by Martin, so from India or not, it's not a problem !

BTW,what about these red rotor arms who can be bought here and there, but didn't wear the typical "DD" in their cast ?

Poor copies, again ? I've no experiences of these, so can't juged yet.

Hi Chris,

yes there are some cr*p imitation red rotor arms on sale, which look almost identical to Martin's . . . . . unfortunately they are not made of the same material and not to the same quality standard . . . . . . .

Hence his comments about tooling being for his exclusive use in respect of the V8 rotors.

Cheers

Alec