Mohair roof

Hi all. I'm gonna go for it and replace my vinyl roof with a mohair one. Been putting it off but they do look nice. I live in North Kent and have contacted a few suppliers and wonder if anyone could recommend a company to supply and fit.

...also the 'MO' is getting scarce and one day will go the way of the 'Crimple' whose skins were used in making trousers and clothing in the late 60's

Did you know it takes the hair cuttings of 1000 Mo's to make one TR6 roof. (only the skins of 50 Crimples to make a shirt)

I understand that the EU were going to ban using the hair of the Mo but Brexit should sort that out.

Roger

Just fitted a mohair for my friend who bought it from Dons hoods, not cheap but great quality.

Same here, Don Hoods, fitted myself with a mate, instructions from here and Roger Williams book How to restore Tr6. Took a day.

To each their own but I personally hate mohair hoods, they look naff and fade very quickly. Stick to an original quality vinyl hood and you can't go wrong.

Alan G

To each their own but I personally hate mohair hoods, they look naff and fade very quickly. Stick to an original quality vinyl hood and you can't go wrong.

Alan G

+1 and bad to fold,and most do not fit right.

I have recently fitted a vinyl hood from Don hoods. Very pleased with the quality. Took a good long hot day to fit correctly and about a week to sort out the frame (new joints etc). You need to get the frame right before fitting the hood.....

mike

I think mohair just looks wrong on a TR (like those awful burr walnut door cappings etc). Too posh, too tarted-up, mutton dressed as lamb (you get the idea...).

You know what they say about opinions......................

Back to the subject fellas! Dons hoods - it arrived, I fitted it it looks great, it was a little tricky as it's quite thick so if you are used to thin vinyl it is difficult. I bought one from eBay - Motorsport - cheaper looks good and falls between the two, mohair but easy to fit like vinyl. As for longevity??? Wait and see..

cas bros in keston along the Bromley road they have been they since queen Victoria died so should be good theres also another guy the other side of swanley on the way to hextable hope these help?

Bluebob

Cas bros gosh are they still going? I used to live in Cherry Orchard road opposite there shop. In those day the wine warehouse was the Plough pub, next to a doggy garage, If you went into the public bar of the pub you could 'get' an MOT for any car... And then there was the Sawyers Arms once a nice Shep Neame pub now a Macdonalds.... Happy days! And Cas Bros was always very good!

BTW its Hasting road not Bromley road and the area is Bromley Common not Keston (I lived at Keston Mark there until I was 9).

Sorry going way off topic!

Mike

...also the 'MO' is getting scarce and one day will go the way of the 'Crimple' whose skins were used in making trousers and clothing in the late 60's

Did you know it takes the hair cuttings of 1000 Mo's to make one TR6 roof. (only the skins of 50 Crimples to make a shirt)

I understand that the EU were going to ban using the hair of the Mo but Brexit should sort that out.

Roger

Hence the expression " Hang on a Mo" Ho Ho