do mx5 seats fit a 3a?

My 3a restoration is speeding along and thoughts are turning to trim.

I want to fit something a bit more supportive than the original seats and thought of Ridgards but then I thought od MX5 seats.

I have only sat in one once in a 4a and they seemed comfortable so will MX5 seats fit in a 3a?

Anyone tried to fit them?

I have heard that the early mx5 seats are the way to go. Mk 1 or 2 with the removable headrests. This way you can still use a flat tonneau etc.

Hi Red 6.

As Stuart said, they definitely do fit, but they're tight, for sure. I've heard of some people actually 'adjusting' the transmission tunnel to give a fraction more room.

In my case I didn't need to do that, but what I found was that my lovely new trim panels that curve round the rear wheel arches are probably quite badly scored down low where the seats rub on them... but that's out of sight so I don't worry too much about it.

I also haven't quite got the mounting brackets done right: they come loose after a while, so I need to figure out a better system.

I agree that the original seats look better, which is why I have kept the originals and the original runners. One day I'll restore them and may well fit them.

The seats in the photos are Series 1 MX5 I think... removable headrests. I actually don't think they look too bad, and at 50 quid for the two, it didn't seem such a bad choice. They're comfortable, too, and contrary to what some might say, you can actually adjust them forward and back although only a small amount, because the gearbox cover gets in the way...

These are the best photos I've got... at various different stages of build...

Things to note if you want to do it: the MX5 driver's seat goes on the passenger side in the TR. It won't fit the other way around. You will also need to remove the seat belt attachment points and I also removed the plastic housing around the recliner spring, to reduce the width of the seat by a vital 5mm.

Finally - there's quite a bit of info on the interweb if you spend some time googling... this is one guide that I found quite useful (although it's for a TR6): http://tr6.danielsonfamily.org/MiataSeats1.htm

post-11403-0-24965600-1476275034_thumb.jpgpost-11403-0-30672300-1476275036_thumb.jpgpost-11403-0-11419100-1476275037_thumb.jpgpost-11403-0-83668900-1476275037_thumb.jpgpost-11403-0-66782900-1476275038_thumb.jpgpost-11403-0-71095800-1476275039_thumb.jpg

Edited by bigmalcy

Whatever seat you fit, set it before you fit seat belts, otherwise, if you mount the SB reel at the front base of the arch, it will prevent the seat going very far back, i am only 5'7" (AND A QUARTER) (171 to Menno) and the seat is fully back) with the floor mounted reel stopping it going any further

I fitted Racetorations' Mk2 seats to my 3 and could not fault them on last week's RBRR which was about as severe a test that I can imagine giving them! My back is still fine! They were a serious investment though! We went for the lumbar pump kit too which was worthwhile as funnily enough I am a different shape to Ben's Wife! The previously installed Cobra Cubs are currently looking for a new home............................

We have a 4-point seat belt harness the anchor points do not impede seat adjustment. I was slightly concerned about the custom built roll bar doing so but it doesn't.

I guess it depends on how much "active" driving you are planning. Personally I think the MX-5 seats look a bit chunky in a TR3.

post-13503-0-65524500-1476297980_thumb.jpgpost-13503-0-54662500-1476298011_thumb.jpg

Ben

Do your cobra cubs have headrests ?

They wouldn't be black would they ?

I'm in need for headrest seat for mine !?!?

H

I am so tempted to go Red. When I bought my car the seats had been painted red and from a distance of 5m looked spiffing.

However being a traditionalist at heart I am definitely going Black with white piping.

The MX5 seat website made excellent reading, enough to convince me that the seats are going to a trimmer, I can re cover tr4/5/6/ seats but I know what will happen I will spend days pondering how to do it.

The red seats look just like the Ridgard seats so I might just give him a call.

I noticed the mention of cobra cub seats. I fitted a pair to a TR6 for a chap who had very long legs and could not get into the car with the standard seats fitted. The cubs give yards (a metaphor of course) of rearward adjustment.

Thanks for the advice and the pictures of the green 3a, so now to roll the dice and decide (in about 2 months).

I have the original red seats, leather with white piping and the rear bench seat in the garage which I will be putting up for sale shortly as I won't be going back to the originals (and the rear bench won't fit behind the new ones). If anyone is interested in making a pre-sale offer! <_<

Hi

Is the wind coming around the back of the neck reduced / eliminated with the higher backed seats with

the headrest removed

Brian

Reduced but not eliminated

Edited by Ben Freer