Remote Brake Servo Kit

Hi Guys

Last night on Car SOS they did an SP250 and fitted a brake servo kit.

I have thought about one of these for some time and Moss has a Lockheed kit and an after market kit for half the price. I guess the latter is Chinese and comes with a note that says " Use once and throw away" so I am only interested in the Lockheed one. Has anybody any experience with this unit? and how easy is it to install? There is not much room in the engine compartment of a TR3A so I though to install it under the occasional seat, but what is the diameter of the vacuum pipe? I presume the kit pipes will be too short for my idea so that will involve me with a few more bob to do it, and the Moss promotion says it does NOT apply to this item (as usual)

Dave

What's your logic in wanting servo-assisted brakes, Dave? Driving my car yesterday it again came to mind how terrific the brakes are on a disc TR3-3A. Among the best on any car I've had, and better than the other two I own right now.

Steering, I can see. Brakes don't seem to be an upgrade to this driver. :unsure:

Hi Dave,

do you really want to go down this road. More complexity.

Can you lock the wheels if you stamp on the pedal.

Perhaps different pads may help.

I would not fit it under the rear seat. Keep it in the engine bay.

If the Moss Item is to big consider a smaller one from a GT6 etc (Chris Witor may do them).

A few years ago I was actually considering fitting one to my clutch as the pedal was very very heavy.

Thankfully I have now sorted that.

Roger

Not joining the debate about to fit it or not. But I have some experience with the servo you are referring to.

Rover P4 owners have for some time been fitting the locheed servo instead of the girling Mk 2 servos.

The Locheed servo are considered to be very reliable.

I brought mine from Chic Doig (through ebay).

The one SOS fitted to the Dart, looks the same to me.

The genuine ones are made by the descendants of the original Leamington Spa company Locheed, AP, Caparo and currently 920 Engineering.

Not to be confused with Locheed type at much cheaper prices.

What's your logic in wanting servo-assisted brakes, Dave? Driving my car yesterday it again came to mind how terrific the brakes are on a disc TR3-3A. Among the best on any car I've had, and better than the other two I own right now.

Steering, I can see. Brakes don't seem to be an upgrade to this driver. :unsure:

Don

They don´t seem adequate enough to my liking after driving my Eurobox, and it would help my wife and this old man as well I am thinking.

Dave

Hi Dave,

do you really want to go down this road. More complexity.

Can you lock the wheels if you stamp on the pedal.

Perhaps different pads may help.

I would not fit it under the rear seat. Keep it in the engine bay.

If the Moss Item is to big consider a smaller one from a GT6 etc (Chris Witor may do them).

A few years ago I was actually considering fitting one to my clutch as the pedal was very very heavy.

Thankfully I have now sorted that.

Roger

Roger

Never really thought about doing that, I take it you mean while the car is standing still. I have fitted cross drilled discs and green stuff pads when I did the rebuild 7 years ago, So I will try that today, I know I did the hand brake a few months ago and that locks the rear wheels O.K. If it don´t work then I will try bleeding the brakes to see if that makes it any better, or maybe I am expecting too much without a servo.

Dave

Dave,

I fitted a brake servo when I rebuilt my car but after it started giving problems disconnected it and once I had got used to the hard pedal decided to do away with the servo completely. It is sitting in my garage at the moment - I haven't looked at it since I removed it but if you are interested in it, you are welcome for the cost of shipment.

Rgds Ian

I fitted a servo when my '3 had drum brakes. that combined with extra hard linings made for very good brakes.

I have now converted to disc's, with no servo, & feel they are perfectly good for road work.

Bob.

Olde GreatBrakesey stops no probs, good balance of progressive pressure and locking if required without having to stamp on it, as proven on the french autoroute last year. SFAIAA, its a standard brake set up with Mintex 1144 pads (Tom ?).

Roger

Never really thought about doing that, I take it you mean while the car is standing still. I have fitted cross drilled discs and green stuff pads when I did the rebuild 7 years ago, So I will try that today, I know I did the hand brake a few months ago and that locks the rear wheels O.K. If it don´t work then I will try bleeding the brakes to see if that makes it any better, or maybe I am expecting too much without a servo.

Dave

Change the Green Stuff Pads,you might be well pleased as have others.

None of our 3 sidescreen cars have servos. All these cars can be 'locked up' on dry roads and are quite easy to drive. First use after driving an Euro Box reminds you to press a bit harder and steer with gusto. The whole driving style is so far removed from that of a modern it is easy to adapt. If you are an 'on the bloke in front's bumper' type driver, you will need more than a servo. The only 2 things that catch me out when swapping between cars are (1) 5th gear is missing on the TR and (2) the Euro box does not have an indicator control in the centre of the steering wheel.

In my experience the car with the heaviest pedal, out of our 3 cars, is a TR3A with all standard brakes ie all disc/caliper/mcyls and 10" drums.fitted with standard rear shoes but green stuff pads. .7" rear cyls.

Next has TR6 discs and calipers with 9" drums - this car has Mintex M171 pads and AM7 competition shoe linings. .7 rear cyls.

Next and near equal has TR6 discs and calipers, Girling brake pads from a Morris 1800 and standard 10" drums. .7 rear cyls

All cars have standard sized Girling CV 3/4" master cyls.

We did toy with servos once but found siting them a pain and that they were something else to go wrong on what is essentially a simple and robust car.

remember - KISS Principle here - Keep It Simple Stupid.

Peter W

I have had a lot of trouble with the cheap servos and they dont seem to last long so unless you want to spend the money on the expensive ones and really really need it then I wouldnt bother.

Stuart.

Edited by stuart

1144's together with some judicious set up from TRE saved the wife, me and Olde Speedy from going under a blind French lorry drivers rear end at ever so slightly in excess of the speed limit - they don't bite quickly but do grab when required (they prefer to be warm than cold)

Hi Niall

What is the best alternative?

Dave

Sorry Dave I'm Driving a 6 a GT6 + a Spitfire and I did have Greenstuff in 2 of those Cars and found them very Wooden/useless so I decided NOS Asbestos was the way to go so Bought 6 Sets at Stoneleigh and am using them.

Others have had good results with Mintex and Hawk Pads maybe try some of those.

Dave I fitted a remote servo on my TR3A but didn't take a pic, but I put one on my TR4 in much the same way.

I made up 3 alloy mounting pieces to screw on to the servo and also at the other end where I secured it on the bulkhead, Pics aren't too good but you get my drift it worked well too

I also made a template and got a small nylon unit made up on a 3D printer to go over the front of the servo body and secure it to the wing, the bracket they supply is unsightly.

I think that the anti servo brigade miss the point sometimes, we know that the brakes don't need one to make it stop any better, but they just make the effort to do so much easier.

DSC05649_zpscfumvf0k.jpg

DSC05650_zpsfcb0zhco.jpg

Edited by pfenlon

Pete

I can't quite make out where you are looking, as I can see the pedal slots are not in use, so is the servo mounted on the other side to your pedals? Also what is that grill in the top of the picture that is throwing my orientation as I think it is next to your windscreen.

Dave

Pete

I can't quite make out where you are looking, as I can see the pedal slots are not in use, so is the servo mounted on the other side to your pedals? Also what is that grill in the top of the picture that is throwing my orientation as I think it is next to your windscreen.

Dave

That's a Radiator on the Garage Wall,the Servo is mounted on the Passenger Side below the Wiper Motor,I Think.

Not a particularly good picture but this is one of the favourite places to fit one on a 3a though R/hand drive. Care needs to be taken to make sure it clears the bonnet.

Stuart.

photo1350_zps5359tsqo.jpg

That's a Radiator on the Garage Wall,the Servo is mounted on the Passenger Side below the Wiper Motor,I Think.

Hi TR Niall

It´s easy when you know how, forgot about radiators in the garage, here we need fans.

Dave