Help with buying a TR2

I'm with Alan on this one, Dirk. Don't overthink it. Of course there will be things "wrong" with any car. Look hard at all the right things, and what you want to do with the car. This could be the one, and you're not likely to find many more like it in South Africa.

As stated just buy it, all the things you have noted were probably done over the intervening 60 odd yrs that its been around as they were more than likely the only things available at the time. You do have to remember that its only been the last 30 yrs that there has been a steady increase in the availability of repro parts and the trend for "Originality"

If that car was located in the UK we wouldnt be having this conversation as the moment it appeared for sale it would have been snapped up by a dealer.

Stuart.

• 2 weeks later...

Just an update and another question of course.

I have made an offer and I am waiting for the owner to decide if he actually wants to sell the car or keep it. Its been in his family for 40 years so its a rather sentimental decision for him.

I have since seen 2 more TR2s for sale here. Both rebuilt at roughly 23 000 GBP. But both are very unoriginal. Why on earth can't people do proper research and restore correctly?

This just makes a mostly original car much more valuable in my view, whatever its condition. And this one is slightly worse than I thought but absolutely worth restoring.

The question I have is about restoration, keeping costs i mind.

Are there issues if I do a body off chassis and repaint restoration now and interior in the future (as the current interior is tatty but should cleanup nicely enough for many years use, except the carpets which are damaged)?

Or would you advocate a complete restoration from the start? Is there a risk to damage the body when replacing the interior down the line, or is it easy enough to replace the interior without risk?

I have decided to still not restore concourse if I get the car, but probably as close to original as I can manage. Basically an excellent show condition.

Dirk

" But both are very unoriginal. Why on earth can't people do proper research and restore correctly? "

Many folks are not interested in complete originality . . . . . for a start it can take years of parts searching, and a small fortune, to get all the little details as per factory original . . . . . some of us have better things to do in life ! :D

Many folks would prefer to personalise a classic car to suit their own particular preferences, whether that be cosmetic personalisation and/or mechanical evolution . . . . . and for many TRs, that's been an ongoing process over 4, 5, 6 decades. :rolleyes:

In any case, most TRs (like 95%+) are bitsas . . . . cars which have been restored to a greater or lesser degree several times, utilising parts from here there and everywhere.

Originality can be, and usually is, a chimaera . . . . . and the end result at best a facsimile.

Cheers

Alec

" But both are very unoriginal. Why on earth can't people do proper research and restore correctly? "

Many folks are not interested in complete originality . . . . . for a start it can take years of parts searching, and a small fortune, to get all the little details as per factory original . . . . . some of us have better things to do in life ! :D

Cheers

Alec

Better things to do ???

On topic, things like interior can be replaced later. Allthough i think you will be doing it when you see the rest Nice and shiny...

Things like Engine bay, chassis are more dificult to do later, suspension is tricky But can do later..

There's Original - as in a survivor - untouched, and probably mopre than a little tatty.

There's "sympathetic" restorations that seek to retain the 'character' of what would otherwise be a 'survivor'.

There's restorations "As Original" - i.e. restored as it would (or 'could') have left the factory.

And various shades in between.

Each to his own. Depends what is important to the owner.

AlanR

Here are 3 TR's from South Africa, the 4th one at on the meeting is not in the picture.

The only restoration work done on the red one is StickyTape on the side screens.. :blink: :)

IMG_7032.JPG

That looks cloudy and just a bit chilly. Not what I would expect of SA !!!! ????

Buy the car that suits your plans best. Sounds like that is usability straight away. Then once you have used it a bit decide which direction to go in.

Full resto. Or done up to be "a nice period car"

Hahahaha.

I like it! Although the lack of sun in that photo shows perhaps not the best out day for TRs.

The one I am looking into would end up like the red one as I think that is what it originally looked like, except for black screens and roof.

I would happily buy the red one if I could!

I think in order of what I'd like it would be

Sympathetic

Original

As Original

If I get this one it will have to be sympathetic as it has had a simple restore already and it won't be much work to make it very accurate.

It will be a lot of work to clean it though!

• 2 months later...

Thanks all for all the great info and help!

It took a few months as expected, but I am taking delivery of TS 5379 O on sunday. :):):)

I am supremely excited for this adventure. This is the 2nd car I mentioned (photos are the burgundy-looking one on page 2 of this long post)

I will probably have quite a substantial amount of restoration questions, starting with if there is a specific technical book (Other than a Haynes manual).

I will take some more detailed pictures when I have the TR on sunday and am done driving around!

I will only restore later on as I want to do a complete assessment and research before starting on this adventure.

I have obtained a factory record and this TR is exactly what I wanted when I started out, being an original overdrive BRG over Stone. Black weather gear.

It looks to also have spent its whole life in Southern Africa away from coasts and the last 40-odd years in the dry high altitude of the South African highveld.

I know that finding a classic car to be exactly what you want is extremely rare, so I am very happy.

Except for the silver wheels (I will restore as original as I can) the goal is like this TR when restored. https://www.beaulieugarage.co.uk/1954-triumph-tr2.

This TR is very original with some minor touches like upgraded (made easily reversible by the previous owner) electrics and lights.

After some quick checks I think the car even still has its original beading ( at least partial as some beading looks a little odd and overpainted ).

I found some bolts that have the original body colour on them and the sidescreen supports seem brg as well.

Oh yes. A further question.

With original sidescreens that still have zippers.

Does the stitching go through the perspex, or is it glued, or is there a different way to fit the perspex into the material?

d

Edited by irrational

Well done for eventually finding the right car, the perspex is sewed through for the side screens.

Stuart.

Thanks Stuart.

Here is a link to a quick album I put together showing some things on the car.

I will flesh it out sometime and make sure I document everything as I restore, which will only be later this year or next year.

https://photos.google.com/share/AF1QipNTfL0w5zX8MO8DkdMR2T5qHd6wTpVc2cO6Tft0OOHKCDUNkLrQQjVyLeMIXd_YeQ?key=aVZmOTNaSHA1RkNPeWdCVWp2SlNXSE9tbWhOeThB

Otherwise the car drives amazingly well!

Easily reaching 80mph with Overdrive, braking true and the gearchanges are manly but so much fun.

I must say the TR2 engine is a real beauty. Very comfortable and surprisingly smooth too.

I am as happy as can be. 8)

d

Edited by irrational

Congrats on the buy !

It looks like a good start for a restoration !

If engine runs smoothly, no oil leaks you could consider to do a cosmetic job on the engine and keep it, if aint broke dont try to fix it.

Keep the original parts if restorable (distributor cap, master brake cylinder for instance ;) ) and dont try to replace everything with new shiny aftermarket parts !

Are you going to dismantle or a driving resto? perhaps refreshing the fluids, make sure brakes clutch etc are in good order, you could drive as is and figure out what you'd like to do about the car.

again congrats and enjoy the TR-driving !

That is a very nice car; congrats on your acquisition.

I know it has some blemishes, and I saw the pics of the sill, but if it were mine and the chassis is strong, I would not be wanting to do too much of anything to it for now.

It wears its patina well and genuinely. I've lived with sidescreens (the cars and the specific weather equipment!) a lot worse than yours... : )

Tim.

Great, really great. I would opt for this 'rat look' as long as possible - pref very long when the running gear is in good nick. A restored TR2 looks wonderful, but an specimen that has lived through time like this, is a time machine and tribute to the past.

I wish you many happy miles!

Menno

Thanks all!

As far as I can see there are no leaks of any kind and the car drives very well. I was really surprised.

My short term aim will be to replace the perishable hoses, lubricants, clutch and brakes.

So basically a sensible service as I need the car to pass a roadworthy.

Perhaps look at suspension bushes too.

I may do a radiator re-core as I see its temperature rises in traffic (expectedly) and I think it is just sensible. But this is not a given yet. I have a high airflow fan that came with. It has more angled blades.

Far future would be to return the TR to BRG and do a down to the metal rust fix and repaint, but I'd like to keep as many original parts as I can without necessarily restoring them, such as the chrome gauge bezels etc.

I think I'd like to replace the missing parts with originals if I can find them. The one thing being an original grille.

I agree that its patina is very characterful and I would keep it such.

I am really enjoying the car immensely already. Luckily our winters are not very cold and very dry!

Proper plan to replace all 'perishables' and get it back on the road. Suspension bushes replacement is always a good idea. It will improve road handling. Don't be tempted to invest in firmer rubber/poly. Normal grade (in poly) is firm enough. As is topping up the rear shocks.

Menno

I may do a radiator re-core as I see its temperature rises in traffic (expectedly) and I think it is just sensible. But this is not a given yet. I have a high airflow fan that came with. It has more angled blades.

Is it a metal fan (6 blade) or plastics? The metal fan could be an "original" tropical fan which came with the car period.

As in heat, you could check the thermostat. it should be an original skirted one to have the right flow. the modern ones dont block off the bypass hose..

somehting like this:

Thermostat-AC-Delco-TF1.jpg

Some info on the skirted:

http://www.tr3a.info/thermostat.htm

Edited by EdwinTiben

Nice one, I have been following this thread with interest. Good to see you have a lovely little TR2.

I personally enjoy doing all the little repairs and improvements on my car. It's part the fun :)

Enjoy

Steve