Hardtop (Original)

As a link to the other recent post on hardtops, do many of the TR6 owners on this BB have hardtops that were originally ordered/supplied by the factory that are still in everyday use ?

Mine was part of the original factory order in 1973 and is still in everyday use, and is still in superb condition inside and out.

A soft top option was also purchased, but spent a total of about 20 days on the car relative to the 43+ years the hardtop's been on the car.

The Pimento Red paint has faded in alignment with the rest of the car.

post-14274-0-03190000-1475944319_thumb.jpg

post-14274-0-90479800-1475945482_thumb.jpg

Edited by AlexBx

Held on by 2 bolts at front, 2 (one at each side) and 2 main ones at the back. And it doesn't leak rainwater, keeps out a lot of noise (aiding comfort for driver and passenger) and keeps in warmth in the winter. All credit to Triumph for a superb design.

It does whistle in the wind, mind you.

post-14274-0-13869200-1475945250_thumb.jpg

For the first time in 20 years I've put our hardtop on the car yesterday. Also Pimento red. Black headlining...would that be original I wonder?

Took it out for a spin today and it changes the character of the car immensely. Overall quieter but some noises are more noticeable such as the fuel pump. There's wind noise but it's not intrusive until over 70 mph. But the car feels so much more rigid and a bit more agile somehow. The way it rides bumps is a lot better. No rattles or squeaks at all.

Wind Noise; There s/b a moulded piece of foam rubber #806144, all along the leading edge, as per original fitment.

Colour of roof lining: The only OEM colour is black or cream but I have never seen black. I am not certain that black was offered for the UK market! You would have to ask Derek Graham of the TR6 Register that question.

Bruce.

Harry

Thanks for the suggestion. I've looked at a number of options. I am continuing to experiment with possible fixes but always end up reverting to original. Crosswinds seem to make the biggest difference. You do hear a few more shakes and rattles with the hardtop on but it's a small price one pays.

I'm an older chap and suffer from worsening tinnitus as time passes. Regrettably, although I would like the hardtop roof off more especially in summer, the overall wind whoosh with the open top aggravates it terribly at the end of the day. I have tried earplugs but one feels a tad odd wearing them regularly with the roof down. One advantage of the TR6 is that it's a handsome car with the roof on or off, makes no difference to its aesthetics.

The inner lining in mine is a cream-to-white colour with little "puffy perforations", and apart from some minor work/refurb 3 years ago, it is still as lovely and fresh looking as the day it left Triumph. I have to say that Triumph did a splendid job in making the hardtop and although it's an old design now, it's one area where they did not skimp on quality.

I do keep a lookout but haven't seen another TR6 with a hardtop "in the metal" for quite a few years now. I wonder how many Triumph actually sold into the home market, or who would even know. I have the original bill of sale for it from Triumph in the car's archives which always makes me smile when I look at it.

post-14274-0-27878800-1476008966_thumb.jpg

Alex

IMHO that top really does set the car off . . . . I think is looks just the mutts nuts

If you ever plan to sell . . . . . . . . . . .

Alex,

As per my thread. Have you got the moulded piece of foam rubber #806144 fitted along the leading edge? Because 3 of our group did not realise that this part existed! When fitted they were amazed at the difference.

Bruce.

Harry

You know I didn't know. That's a good spot. I will look it up.

WGJCO ..... if you mean if I consider selling just the hardtop ? Gosh, I'd be in trouble with my boss if I did ! :)

Meant the car . . She looks really nice

Bought my car 2 years ago, came with the original hatdtop but been sat in the garage on top of a mini since i got it home. Must admit does not look bad with it onpost-13121-0-93433900-1476216968_thumb.jpg

Edited by Peelie

Sorry that would have to be a no

Worth a try :) .... Mine came with a hardtop from factory so I'd like to get hold of an original one if I can, but also currently looking at fibreglass ones as I noted previously if I run out of luck sourcing an original .....

Hi Alex

yes mine is also part of the original factory order 69 and is still sitting in the top of the garage I have owned the car for 27yrs and never bothered fitting it even in the winter, yes the car has been out in all weather conditions .

Bluebob

fancy parting ways with it? free up some garage space? :)

Sorry spud no it come with the car so when i sell the car it goes as part of the package along with all the spares/history etc

Bluebob

Fully Understand. Wishing the previous owners of my TR would have had the same thoughts. :)

Is yours registered as a TR6 Coupe / Hardtop? Just wondering as my TR is so assuming it must have come form the Factory with a hardtop unless its been registered incorrectly?

Is there a way of finding out?

Just looked in the original green log book it say`s just make ,model ,colour, body type "sports" then fuel , chassis No, engine No, rating then seating plus the standard date of registration, cost of duty 12month tax in 69 was £40 the rest is just owners, another piece of history with the car.

bluebob

My first TR6, a '69er bought in October '79, came with the factory hardtop attached. I ran it all through that winter & enjoyed the snugness and generally civilised nature of the car.

February arrived, a fit of enthusiasm followed & on went the soft top. Within 200 yards I was convinced the exhaust had blown & the chassis was about to snap in the middle!

A marvellously rude introduction to topless motoring & huge fun. The hardtop went back on each November and in Autumn '80 I managed to cram four passengers into the poor TR, resulting in a pull from a highly-unimpressed traffic policeman.

The car is long since deceased, but I do still have the white hardtop. It has a black headlining & when I last looked, didn't exhibit the corrosion issues that afflicted works tops used in salty winters. I could be persuaded to let it go.

Cheers

SPMPW

My first TR6, a '69er bought in October '79, came with the factory hardtop attached. I ran it all through that winter & enjoyed the snugness and generally civilised nature of the car.

February arrived, a fit of enthusiasm followed & on went the soft top. Within 200 yards I was convinced the exhaust had blown & the chassis was about to snap in the middle!

A marvellously rude introduction to topless motoring & huge fun. The hardtop went back on each November and in Autumn '80 I managed to cram four passengers into the poor TR, resulting in a pull from a highly-unimpressed traffic policeman.

The car is long since deceased, but I do still have the white hardtop. It has a black headlining & when I last looked, didn't exhibit the corrosion issues that afflicted works tops used in salty winters. I could be persuaded to let it go.

Cheers

SPMPW

Photos? :)