Dash support frame-recovering options

Hi Guys,

My DASH SUPPORT FRAME needs recovering or replacing as the Vinyl has cracked and split.

One option is to buy a Moulded Cover (part number 815721X) from either Moss or the TR Shop.

Quite an expensive option, but worthwhile doing if the cover fits.

Has anybody gone this route and have any experience with either the Moss or TR Shop product. I believe the TR Shop covers are imported from the USA, dont know about the Moss one but I imagine that there cant be more than one manufacturer of this product.

Alternatively, has anybody got a good one that they are willing to sell?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Regards

Rich

I believe the Tr shop ones are very good. You can get a recovering kit, it's a vinyl cover that you use to recover over the original, or strip the original, cover with thin sponge and then use the vinyl kit. It's not original looking but can look very good and they are about £50.

Don't know about the TR shop item but I managed to wreck 2 moss moulded vynl covers! I couldn't get anything to bond to the cover. Tried all sorts of adhesives.....even tried our cabin upholsterers! I tried abrading it and MEK and Acetone to key the surface.

I like the idea of a cover that bonds to the original though, providing the original is not missing lumps I reckon it would look good.

I ended up with a leather finished one I found on fleabay.

Unless you want to keep the car original I think the frame looks much better not covered in anything.

I cleaned the frame up, sanded it to get a smoother surface and painted it with black wrinkle paint, looks excellent, unless you know it looks original, cheaper too!

Magnus

Edited by TRseks

Unless you want to keep the car original I think the frame looks much better not covered in anything.

I cleaned the frame up, sanded it to get a smoother surface and painted it with black wrinkle paint, looks excellent, unless you know it looks original, cheaper too!

Magnus

I'd be interested in seeing a pic of how this looks too. Mine needs replacing / recovering but this may prove to be a better and cheaper option

Right, here is a picture;

PW6Enc5.jpg

And found a couple from before it was installed in the car, the alu ring is the same as used on Moto Lita steering wheels:

MZsVHOv.jpg

EOL9HvT.jpg

Magnus

Edited by TRseks

Hi Rich,

Another option to consider is a leather cover for the dashboard H-Frame support. I bought one from John Skinner as part of a full interior re-trim kit. I must be honest and confess I got my local trimmer to do the H-Frame and the seats and was delighted with the results. I hope this will help your decision.

Best Regards, Peter

post-10724-0-44436700-1475840983_thumb.jpg

I got my H frame and my crash pads recovered through TRGB - they look terrific - real quality job and not expensive - they don't do it themselves but farm it out so it takes a little time.

Unfortunately, not near the car at the moment so can't forward pics - they will also recover dash top and switch plinth to match.

Hope this helps

Cheers

Rich

When I refreshed my H frame with the moulded vinyl and foam covering, the TR Shop supplied the adhesive, which came as an aerosol and did a great job.

Why are there two different types of h frame?

4a one is different to 5/6 ones. 4a one has 3 holes for switches and the edge around the gear lever hole is raised up.5 one has no holes for switches and no raised lip and the 6 one has one hole for the interior light switch and no raised lip.

Stuart.

Edited by stuart

Hi Guys,

Just purchased a Dash Support Frame cover from Moss, current price £132 with the 17% current offer as I needed to buy a Hood etc, etc. First impressions are that it fits very well dry, so I dont anticipate any problems when I stick it on probably using Evostick Timebond. Will let you know if there are any problems.

Incidentally as these are sourced from the States, not likely to see them, or many other States supplied items at current prices owing to the fall in the £. So buy now!!

Regards

Rich

I found the TR shop padded cover the best. You have to take your time in sticking down with good quality contact adhesive, a bit at a time, let it dry and then glue the next bit - don't try to fit the cover all in one go, but the end result looked like original.

I did first try the Rimmer Bros version, and like an earlier post, no way would it stick down no matter what glue I tried, In the end I returned it for credit,

Hi Guys,

I'm just amazed that there can be more than one manufacture of this cover, surely there can't be that much of a market?

I know that both Moss and TR Shop get there's from the States so I assumed they are from the same source.

Anyway the Moss one seems to be the right shape and looks good,no doubt it will be fun glueing it onto the frame though.

Cheers

Rich

• 3 months later...

Started recovering the h frame over the weekend and finished off tonight very pleased with the results, decided against a radio for now but wondered if a 69 6 had a interior light switch below the radio aperture . The frame was purchased separately as the car didn't have one fitted and came complete with switch.

Mark

Edited by Mark69