Greetings folk,

can anyone offer some advice regarding my smouldering (standard) Lucas headlamp unit after fitting a new capless pilot lamp?

The PL wasn't working so I splashed out 60p on the hopeful possibility of a faulty bulb. When it still refused to glow I cleaned up the terminals under the bonnet and replaced the joint connector block. Bingo, light. But also smoke in the sealed unit when I switched the headlamps on!

I checked the new lamp, and it's a 12v 3w capless one. Although I can't make out the specification of the (fully functioning) old lamp, the Moss catalogue seems to specify a 5W capless pilot lamp. Apart from the difference in output from the two lamps, could this 2w discrepancy account for the damage?

It's the only explanation I can think of, but if anyone can shed any light on the issue (sorry...) I'd be very grateful.

Cheers

Chris

When you say you replaced the connector block do you mean the 3 terminal plastic plug that goes on the back of the headlamp, if so the smoke would probably mean you have connected the wires incorrectly and it has shorted out, as the difference in wattage between the 2 side light bulbs would just mean the side light wouldnt be so bright and would not have affected the supply to the head light..

Stuart.

Thanks for the reply Stuart, much obliged.

The connector I replaced was under the bonnet, connecting the live feed from the switch to the pilot lamp and side lamp. Could the smoke inside the sealed unit simply be the headlamp bulb blowing, perhaps as a result of being disturbed?!

I'd be very surprised if the new (incorrect) capless pilot lamp has anything to do with it, so I will recheck all the wiring and purchase a new sealed unit I suppose...

...Could the smoke inside the sealed unit simply be the headlamp bulb blowing, perhaps as a result of being disturbed?!...

I'm betting on a short, too. Jiggling a bulb shouldn't cause the smoke to be let out unless that jiggling shorted something. Double check the wiring and the physical arrangement of the connectors, including inside the lamp housing.

If its a capless bulb then check the fitting as they are notoriously poor and its easy to twist one contact to touch the other. The old sealed beam units (Rarely used over here now due to their poor output compared to Halogen etc) would go Phut for a past time though after not being used for a while or getting good voltage back to them after running like candles for a while, especially if they are getting on a bit.

Stuart.

Thanks chaps, that's good advice. Headlamps haven't been used for a while which could account for the blown bulb, and there doesn't seem to be any melted wires anywhere so the headlamp bulb is quite a strong contender for the culprit.

However, all will be checked, then checked again. I see what you mean about the quality of the pilot light terminals. This could be a sign that a halogen upgrade is due!

Cheers all.

Cibie iode headlamps with uprated halogen 'nightbreaker' bulbs seem to be the recommended route.

With relays to suppply the power not via the ignition/light switches.

Steve