What tools to rebuild a TR6?

This might sound a strange question but I have now been able to move my car after 26 years to a storage unit from whence I will be able to finally commence the rebuild. The bare body is on the chassis but the front and rear suspension needs to be restripped and rebuilt. The engine needs to be fully stripped and rebuilt and then the whole car needs to be put back together.

I don't really want to be taking tools down each time I go to the unit so, as far as possible I want to set up the storage unit with as many of my hand tools and equipment as practical. So I have to make some decisions as to which sets of tools to take from my garage, or buy duplicates where I feel that need to retain tools at home for working on my other cars and bikes.

I have bought duplicate trolley jacks, axle stands and a small compressor for the unit. I also have enough socket sets and spanners to take a few Imperial sets to the unit. I'll also bring parts home to put in my parts cleaner or beadblasting cabinet. Naturally many things such as engine machining and chroming will be outsourced but I'm trying to do as much as possible myself.

So, I'm trying to think of all the tools and equipment that I'm going to need over the next year and try and get myself organised before I finally dive into the task. i do know that the list could be huge but I'd appreciate any ideas from members who have been through a rebuild process.

Tks for any thoughts

Paul

Don't know your situation, or where your new unit is.

I am often out and about in remote areas on my own, with no one knowing where I am so take the mobile phone with me.

A lot of places I go to have no mobile coverage, so I also have a SPOT Gen3 emergency position locator which calls on the international satellite system then gets redirected to emergency services.

http://www.findmespot.com/en/index.php?cid=100

Before they activate any services,they have the contact details of two pals who could verify that it is likely that I would be in that position, either abroad or UK .

Edited by OAF939M

Swear box, I'd be lost without mine.

+1 what age is the car you are restoring, I only ask as my CR73 6 has a mix of AF and metric :wacko:;)

Clarkey,

Good point. Tks. I've got a CR28xx series car so I guess my front calipers have a metric thread, but I was assuming that the rest of the car is AF? Are there parts of the car other than the brakes which are metric? (It's so long since I first stripped it down that I can't remember!). I was going to take my bags of imperial stainless nuts and bolts, but maybe I should also take some metric fasteners with me? Fortunately most of my socket sets have both AF and Metric. But I'll add some metric taps and dies to my list of items to take to the unit as well.

Cheers

Paul

Lister is concerned for your personal safety, I'd be more for your tools, if you intend to leave any in the storage unit - which you must, if you have a compressor etc. and speak of duplicate sets.

A wheeled cabinet would be very easy to steal. I've been robbed from my own garage next to the the house, so mine is now stored in a brick alcove, with an iron bar across it with a big padlock and massive bolts. They will have to bring sledge hammers for the wall to take it. Short of that, bike security chains to a massive wall anchor? Ditto for the compressor, which is such a noisy beast that an enclosure is a good idea anyway.

But you asked, what tools should you leave there so that you can progress your rebuild, without having to go home and pick up some more. If you have duplicate sets, then one in the secure storage in the unit should be perfectly adequate. I'd say, spanners and sockets,7/16 to 3/4" will be enough for most work, plus the usual extras to deal with recalcitrant bolts; pliers, Mole wrench, hacksaw, hammer and drift, an angle grinder?. Screwdrivers, straight and cross-cut - the only ones on an OE Triumph were Phillips, I think. Later, a multimeter. Torch, or other lamp. Gloves, vinyl and leather. Something to sit on - you may have to stop and think! Something to clean your hands with, unless there is a wash basin on site - you don't want to drive home with oily mitts.

AND, if you have electrical power in the unit (Luxury!) then a kettle, coffee/tea, milk to taste and biscuits, with somewhere to store all those. You need sustenance while you're thinking!

Consider your secure storage first, budgeting for plenty of room, so that if you find you are missing some tool, you can leave it there for the future.

JOhn