Hardtop (Fibreglass)

I had a Lenham Hardtop from Rimmers which I used for a year when I first got the car going in 1990, then sold the top through TRAction. Think I intended to keep it once I'd repaired the hood frame and bought a new hood, but how I'd mounted it rubbed through the paint on the rear deck, or maybe they always do that. So I only sold it as I didn't want to have to respray the rear deck again, but had no issues with the hardtop directly.

Thanks Harvey.

The steel hard top has 2 rubber buffers one in each corner, which stand the rear of the hard top off the paint work, except where the buffers rest on the paint work. But I have never had any trouble with the paintwork being worn away, I assume the Lenham does not have this mounting?

Bruce

Thanks Harvey.

The steel hard top has 2 rubber buffers one in each corner, which stand the rear of the hard top off the paint work, except where the buffers rest on the paint work. But I have never had any trouble with the paintwork being worn away, I assume the Lenham does not have this mounting?

Bruce

The original Lenham top has a rubber seal glued to the bottom of the rear edge. It does leave a border in the paint when I remove the top if it has been on for a few weeks but that polishes out.

I'm sorry that Spud did not have a good experience with the modern version supplied by Rimmers and I will be interested to hear more about that.

Stan

If this is of help:

I have a fibreglass hardtop in reasonable condition that I do not use, and willing to sell. 100 euro would be ok for me. Am based in the Netherlands, near Rotterdam.

I do not have the fitting materials.

Hi, have sent you a PM.

have agreed the return with Rimmers so will now post why the top was not kept.

I loosely placed the top on the car and couldn't get it to line up at critical points. Top of front screen, b post, on rear deck in front of fuel cap, i would line one up and one or more of the other points would be out.

Either resulting in the hood over hanging the windscreen, hitting the fuel cap or over hanging the b post not allowing the door to shut with the window up.

The other issue was the front bolts were positioned inline with the softop holes not the hardtop holes. Meaning modification to underside front lip would have been required.

This may be a one off faulty top or I was expecting too much for a reproduction and the fitnent issues could be fettled when clamping the screen down but I didn't want to pull and push it about too much risking possibly damaging it.

Rimmers have been helpful throughout the process and I'm currently waiting for images of their "works" style hardtop they have in stock to be sent across to see if an exchange can be done instead of a return and refund.

I'm also in talks with Honeybourne regarding their top but they currently have a 6week delivery.

Moss have recently sent me an email confirming they have one of their "works" style in stock and is looking good price wise as they currently have a 17% sale on. So will also be contacting them tomorrow to see if I can get any further photos of it before I make a final decision on which way to go

I can't imagine there is many manufacturers of the top so I'm assuming the works style the companies have will be near identical or be the exact same top so will probably come down to price.

Looking to get a hardtop for the TR6. Believe the car came with one from the Factory as standard and also would be nice to have for the colder months.

However the original ones seem to never come up which are either reasonably priced or in useable condition ... so I've been looking at the Fibreglass works replica the main suppliers sell, has anyone got one of these fitted or seen one? Would like to have some feedback before spending out well over £500.

Have you seen this one?

(Apologies if I am repeating old news)

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Original-TR6-steel-hardtop-/282173857483?hash=item41b2df5ecb:g:XU8AAOSwFdtX1xQm

Spud1985,

Thank you for your summary of why you're rejecting teh Rimmers top. I'm really interested in your experiences as I'm thinking of fitting a hardtop when I complete my rebuild. I wonder if you could give us a bit more information:

Has your car been rebuilt? If so, were there any issues in getting doors, windows, windscreen etc aligned as part of your build? Have yo ever measured your car against another TR6?

Have Rimmers offered to show you the top fitted to another car, or can they confirm whether the key dimensions of that particular top are the same as any other top that they have?

Do you (or anyone else) know what are the key dimensions that would affect the fitting of a top eg distance of top of screen to B-post top etc etc?

Tks again

Paul

Edited by ptjs1

Spud1985,

Thank you for your summary of why you're rejecting teh Rimmers top. I'm really interested in your experiences as I'm thinking of fitting a hardtop when I complete my rebuild. I wonder if you could give us a bit more information:

Has your car been rebuilt? If so, were there any issues in getting doors, windows, windscreen etc aligned as part of your build? Have yo ever measured your car against another TR6?

Have Rimmers offered to show you the top fitted to another car, or can they confirm whether the key dimensions of that particular top are the same as any other top that they have?

Do you (or anyone else) know what are the key dimensions that would affect the fitting of a top eg distance of top of screen to B-post top etc etc?

Tks again

Paul

I've only had the car 3months so very new to the TR. as far as I'm aware it's never been fully rebuilt but was restored some time ago. Windows, windscreen etc all appear to align nice and straight and I have no problems with the softop frame and hood fitting. Door gaps are very good and straight so don't suspect the issue is with the car

I haven't packed the top away yet so I will take some overall dimensions.

Not sure on the key dimensions but I believe there is a dimension page in the TR6 workshop book detailing all the dims. Just haven't managed to lay my hands on a clear to read copy, can only find blurred images on the internet.

I should have more info coming across on the "works" style top either today or tomorrow from Rimmers and Honeybourne, I've seen images of the HB top installed on two other TR6s that they sent across and the fit looked very good.

Edited by Spud1985

Tere is another one on e-bay for £100 which is in much better condition, the other key issue is has it still got the fixings?

Bruce.

I've seen both but they both look like they are missing parts and need a full restoration. Not for me at the moment.

• 3 months later...

Is this from honeybourne? If yes did it come with fittings and glass?

Tim

Is this from honeybourne? If yes did it come with fittings and glass?

Tim

Not direct from Honeybourne as i didn't want to wait 6weeks but Moss had one on backorder from them so managed to get it that way.

Glass and fittings included. but the fitting kit required the soft top frame to be kept installed. So i ordered the original fittings for the B post (longer bolts also required) to fit it.

Front fittings are ok, but I'm investigating a way to upgrade the bolt fixing for this to make it more robust

Thirdly i purchased the standard rear fittings and also fitted these.

Very nice hardtop, fits the car perfectly.

Just don't understand why the provided fixing kit requires the softtop frame to be retained. .. :blink:

While it's possible to keep the softtop in place with the factory hardtop, the luggage space behind the seats is seriously reduced when on travel

Also registering interest in this thread.

I've long wanted a hard top for our 6. Whilst I enjoy having the hood down practicality wins and I'm happy to forgo the folding hood in favour of a permanent hard top.

I'd looked into going down the route of restoring an original metal hard top but everyone I spoke with suggested the repro route.

@spud .... The black hood on your yellow body looks great. It's made up my mind that for our damson 6 a black hood would suit :-)

Might it be possible for a picture or two from inside the car? I need to work out if there is room to fit around our roll cage ..... Not willing to forgo that!

Also registering interest in this thread.

I've long wanted a hard top for our 6. Whilst I enjoy having the hood down practicality wins and I'm happy to forgo the folding hood in favour of a permanent hard top.

I'd looked into going down the route of restoring an original metal hard top but everyone I spoke with suggested the repro route.

@spud .... The black hood on your yellow body looks great. It's made up my mind that for our damson 6 a black hood would suit :-)

Might it be possible for a picture or two from inside the car? I need to work out if there is room to fit around our roll cage ..... Not willing to forgo that!

I'll take some photos at the weekend and post them up.