Hardtop (Fibreglass)

Looking to get a hardtop for the TR6. Believe the car came with one from the Factory as standard and also would be nice to have for the colder months.

However the original ones seem to never come up which are either reasonably priced or in useable condition ... so I've been looking at the Fibreglass works replica the main suppliers sell, has anyone got one of these fitted or seen one? Would like to have some feedback before spending out well over £500.

If this is of help:

I have a fibreglass hardtop in reasonable condition that I do not use, and willing to sell. 100 euro would be ok for me. Am based in the Netherlands, near Rotterdam.

I do not have the fitting materials.

Hi Spud

I've heard this company http://www.honeybournemouldings.co.uk/triumph.htmbeing mentioned on here a few times, but never seen one or know anything about them.

Yeah I've seen them too ... think they might be the fabricators who sell onto the main suppliers .... I'll give them a call as they're quite abit cheaper but not sure they sell with all the mounting hardware.

Yeah I've seen them too ... think they might be the fabricators who sell onto the main suppliers .... I'll give them a call as they're quite abit cheaper but not sure they sell with all the mounting hardware.

I think if you ask they do have a fitting kit.

Stuart.

Is it quick and easy to swap back and forth between hard top and soft top?

Think there is a way of fitting the hardtop without fully removing the softop. However looking at the installation manual there only seems to be around 6bolts for each so shouldn't be that hard to swap each one over .... Someone with more knowledge may come along with more useful info

I have an aftermarket hardtop originally sold by Lenham. It looks very similar to the factory hardtop. It is now sold by Rimmers

http://www.rimmerbros.co.uk/Item--i-RR1149

I have to remove the soft top to fit it, the total swap takes around 20 mins and I can do it alone although two people would be better.

I think this is the best looking fiberglass hardtop for the TR6.

IMAG0406_zpskeov6gmu.jpg

Stan

Edited by foster461

I have an aftermarket hardtop originally sold by Lenham. It looks very similar to the factory hardtop. It is now sold by Rimmers

I have to remove the soft top to fit it, the total swap takes around 20 mins and I can do it alone although two people would be better.

IMAG0406_zpskeov6gmu.jpg

Stan

Did it come with all the fittings to install or did you have to source any additional items?

What's the difference between the Lenham version and the works version? Is it just the vinyl top and fully painted Fibreglass top or are they different designs? It's hard to tell from the photos.

Did it come with all the fittings to install or did you have to source any additional items?

What's the difference between the Lenham version and the works version? Is it just the vinyl top and fully painted Fibreglass top or are they different designs? It's hard to tell from the photos.

Back in 1978 the hardtop came with all of the fasteners. There are two bolts that go through the windshield rail at the front, two brackets and hooks that attach the top at the side using the soft top captive nuts just behind the B post and I think three brackets that clamp the hard top at the rear using the same holes as the soft top rear rail.

This fiberglass top is not identical to the factory steel top although from a distance they look similar and share at least some of the same seals.

Stan

IMAG0406_zpskeov6gmu.jpg

Stan

After abit more research and quite abit of flicking through Googling images I decided on a Lenham Hardtop from Rimmerbros. It arrives tomorrow. :)

Spud1985,

Be interesting to hear of your views on the top, the fitting kit etc. Are you getting it painted to match the car colour?

Cheers

Paul

Think I'm going to leave it all black as the top part is black vinyl anyway, think it will look a nice contrast against the yellow body ... Although I do quite like how the red one above looks, may be an option in the future. See how it looks when it arrives

I'll post a thread on it once I've installed it, a few pictures of the install and jot down my thoughts of the product, etc

What's the difference between the Lenham version and the works version?

I think the main difference was that the Works steel tops had rearward "flying buttresses" at each side of the back window extending part way out over the rear deck. Not unlike a mini version of the back window treatment on some models of the Jaguar XJS. The Lenham unit doesn't have those but looks very neat in my view.

Dave McD

Dave, you are right about the "flying buttresses" but I am not certain that the Lenham had a roof lining? I have an OEM Steel hard top which was ordered at the time when the car was originally ordered. Yes it is a 2 man job to to fit the steel hard tops and its best that the soft top is completely removed. If anyone is thinking of buying a second hand OEM one always check that there are no splits in the top window corners as the glass and roof lining has to be removed to do the repair.

Bruce

Dave, you are right about the "flying buttresses" but I am not certain that the Lenham had a roof lining? I have an OEM Steel hard top which was ordered at the time when the car was originally ordered. Yes it is a 2 man job to to fit the steel hard tops and its best that the soft top is completely removed. If anyone is thinking of buying a second hand OEM one always check that there are no splits in the top window corners as the glass and roof lining has to be removed to do the repair.

Bruce

The original Lenham top had a grey fabric liner with 1/8 foam backing, glued to the underside. After 30+ years the foam on mine had turned to powder and left the gray fabric hanging loose. I replaced it with a similar fabric.

Stan

Hi,

I'm sold on the idea!

Anyone got a fibreglass one they don't want?

Will put an ad in the wanted section too.

Regards

I do not know if the fibreglass hardtop has any ventilation ducts integrated as the factory hardtop has .

The ducts dump air from inside the car via the 2 grills into the fins, via their openings, they are supposed to stay slightly clear of the body.

Hi,

I'm sold on the idea!

Anyone got a fibreglass one they don't want?

Will put an ad in the wanted section too.

Regards

See 3rd post on page 1. Check p&p.

Dave

Spud1985,

Be interesting to hear of your views on the top, the fitting kit etc. Are you getting it painted to match the car colour?

Cheers

Paul

Top arrived and will be going back next week :( ... will post a full review once I've sorted the return with the supplier.

Think i will order a Honeybourne Mouldings "works" top in the next few days as I've read quite a few favourable reviews over the last few days. Just need to call them and clarify a few things before fully committing