Why is seat foam so stupidly expensive

I agree, specially tailored foam from some suppliers is s dreadful price. I had these seats re-foamed for £120 the pair, including some welding repairs to the frames, by A.R. Pound of Baldock, Herts. The main man there, Fred, buys foam in blocks and cuts pieces to suit. He also recently re-covered the "A" pillar trims in my V70 for next to nothing.

post-9073-0-71444000-1474831294_thumb.jpg

Prices have progressively climbed since Moss produced their parts catalogue (and price list) over 15 years ago. Access to the price has generated a uniformity of prices that wasn't there before. The internet would have ultimately driven much the same, but it's mighty frustrating to go round the jumble stores at the car showsl to find that they checked the prices in the Moss catalogue and expected the same price even though you had no comeback if the part was faulty or delayed.

Now all the traders and a lot of the "semi-pro" jumblers use it as a reference point.

Seat foams are effectively unique so there is no point cross referencing part numbers to find what other cars the part fits. We might not be in the Ferrari price league but to a significant extent the letters "TR" attract a premium over the same part that also fits say a Spitfire or a 2.5 saloon.

Upholsterers cut their own foam to fit.

Think you have hit the nail on the head there Andy, have since spoken to a local upholsterer who has quoted less then just the foam cost to do the seats properly. Not exactly wheeler dealer prices (if only) but does rather prove your point. Just have to ensure they do not find a copy of the Moss parts catalogue before I get there !

Sounds like a good idea, though see there are quite a few types, both size and density so would have no idea what to order.

Would be great if you do a follow-up when you have finished with the foam spec )item numbers in the cast of eBay) as that a huge difference but I guess with kits it is at least (presumably) already the right shape.

There is a good Upholstery/foam supply shop near me.

They sell by the block/sheet/whatever.

They have stuff you could sink into, right up to stuff you could stand on!

Does anyone have any idea how such things are graded??

I have seen it cut (on TV), and it looks fairly straightforward, either with an electric carving knife, or a hot wire.

may have a dabble.......

• 2 years later...
On 9/25/2016 at 5:53 PM, Kerry said:

Just been trying to fine some on-line, can not believe the prices, I have seen leather sofas advertised in TV for less :blink:

Yes scandalous! I think they've been sitting on them waiting for the price to go up!!!!!

ken