Throttle Cable / Choke cable arrangement

after a little bit of investigation and generally getting familiar with the TR6 engine bay it appears only one part of my choke cable is connected, the wire that goes to the M/U.

The other wire is loose in the engine bay, which may explain the cold start issues and having to use the throttle

My question is how does the choke cable fit to the throttle bodies and which throttle body does the accelerator cable attach to? I've been looking at a schematic drawing of the parts and my setup differs, so I'm thinking I'm missing some parts and / or something has been changed.

Pictures would be a great help so i can compare against. i'll try an upload some photos of my setup shortly

Thanks

Ashley

I run without the fast idle cable connected.

A little throttle is needed for the first minute or two then the engine will idle without 'assistance'

Steve

Hi Ashley, on advice I just fitted a single cable choke to the metering unit, took the choke fitting linkage off the manifold and all is well.

I think the general consensus that too much choke isn't good for the car, so this method does just that, soon warms up to idle and run well,

Good luck,

Conrad.

Ashley,

Send me an email to saffrontr6@btinternet.com and I will send you a couple of images which show which manifolds etc that the choke and throttle cables attach to.

Looks like I can no longer post photobucket links or attach images to replies any more!

cheers

Derek

If my memory serves the choke to the manifold was sometimes not connected because the original oil filter used to drain of oil, and upon starting a fast revving engine could have little or no oil until oil pressure built up.

the car has had the spin on conversion done. So shouldn't have this problem

I run without the fast idle cable connected.

A little throttle is needed for the first minute or two then the engine will idle without 'assistance'

Steve

have issues starting the car first time, it will crank for a short while before catching with a little throttle and then immediately die and will do this a couple of times before running, then i have to sit there holding the revs at 1500rpm or it will cut out again. from what I've researched the fast idle can be adjusted so full choke is around 2k rpm and then progressivley drops with less choke.

i want to get it connected to see if it helps with the cold start and getting the car unto temp without me sitting in it for a few minutes with my foot on the throttle, however I'm fairly sure I'm missing various components for me to do this, but looking at various websites i cant quite work out what bits i need.

have you got them crossed over, ones longer than the otherattachicon.gif20160724_114746.jpg

not sure? the longer cable of the two goes to the metering unit. what length cable should this be?

although saying that the shorter cable wouldn't reach the M/U anyway

After doing some digging today i think the whole throttle assembly has been connected incorrectly. looking at the schematic for the CR version (attached), the choke should be on the middle throttle body and the accelerator cable on the T/B nearest the front of the car.

Can anyone confirm if this is correct before i order all the parts i think i need.

TR6 Choke.pdf

Agreed Pete, cold starts are nothing with both cables connected, thats the way they were meant to be. Keeping your foot on the throttle pedal till the engine warms is no fun at all.

Once properly set up it never goes off.

Alan G

Interesting thread as my choke is only connected to the MU and I have the same issues. Is the throttle choke cable connected to the same choke lever?

I would leave it disconnected. Use your right foot to control the revs rather than have it revving too high when cold.

+1

I have the MU cable only, connected

She starts on the button, sometimes on 5 but, all six are in within seconds

I find that, by using the enrichment control and throttle for few seconds to get her settled, and leaving her running on the enrichment control whilst I close the garage door, she is fine.

No heel and toe issues (I don't)

No rough running

no cutting out

The revs will, sometimes, drop as I approach a junction for the first couple of minutes, until she is warm, but, this can be controlled by just tweeking the enrichment control

+1

I have the MU cable only, connected

She starts on the button, sometimes on 5 but, all six are in within seconds

I find that, by using the enrichment control and throttle for few seconds to get her settled, and leaving her running on the enrichment control whilst I close the garage door, she is fine.

No heel and toe issues (I don't)

No rough running

no cutting out

The revs will, sometimes, drop as I approach a junction for the first couple of minutes, until she is warm, but, this can be controlled by just tweeking the enrichment control

Fast idle should be set so maximum choke is 1500 - 1800rpm which is roughly what I have to sit holding the throttle at so the engine doesn't cut out when cold at first start, if I let it drop anything close to 1000rpm it cuts out.

For all those that are not running the fast idle does anyone want to sell me their full setup so I can install into my car? ????

attachicon.gif20160724_114746.jpg

Does yours look anything like this , the big cam at the back is the choke . Not set up yet few screws and springs missing. not fitted.

If you can tell what's missing I may well have them in garage.

Mark

no i haven't got any of it. I'm missing the cam, the bracket it attaches to, the cable adjuster, and all the bolts, etc that goes with it.

Hi Spud,

I thought I had a spare early linkage kit, never really had it out the box of spares it came with . It appears to be a later set up totally different.

Sorry Mark.

i think that might be the one i need as mine is a '73 TR6. Can you post pictures of it?

If it is the right one i'll have it. ;)

attachicon.gif20160927_205353.jpg

I'm pretty sure this set up is for the two pipe manifolds. Your photos show single pipe.

Mark.

it looks like the one listed by Revington TR and SC Parts for the year of my car ...?? - http://www.scparts.co.uk/sc_en/british-cars/triumph/triumph-tr5-tr250-and-tr6-1968-1976/engine-controls/accelerator-pedal-with-linkage-and-choke-cable-tr6-p-i-from-november-1972.html

i'll do bit more digging .... however PM me a figure for the parts and i'll come back to you