I am planning to sand off my boot lid over the weekend and need some advice.

I have a sanding flap fitting for my electric drill which does not seem to even scratch the paint. So I am considering a sanding disc.

If I go right back to bare metal will the discs damage the surface and what grade of paper would be best. The inside has some strengthening supports. The top and bottom edge could be treated by my local sandblaster but I am worried that they may distort..

Please advise.

Richard & H.

Morning Richard,

When i did all the paintwork on my 4a i took every panel back to metal.I did use nitromors to start

with which just took single layer off.That stuff is no where near as good as it was years ago.

In the end i used my grinder with a soft 40 grit disc on and sanded all paint off.It took a while but

was effective.I then went over with DA sander with 180 grit it seemed the best way to me.make

sure ya wear good dust mask though.

Cheers

Nige

Edited by nigethomas

Hi Richard,

I used Nitromors (old style) to remove most of my paint but then I used the discs that Stuart is recommending for cleaning back to bare metal - they work a treat and leave a nice surface to paint. A word of warning about the discs though, they last pretty well unless you take them across a sharp edge or a sticking up rivet at which point they abrade (the disc) in seconds and you have to use a new one.

I used mine in an angle grinder which spins a bit faster than an electric drill and is easier to handle in my view. Machine Mart do cheap angle grinders which work pretty well.

Rgds Ian

Nitromors wouldn't touch the high-build primer that was on my boot lid. However an old rag soaked in old brake fluid, left on for a few days, stripped paint, primer and filler back to bare metal.

I used silicone brake fluid when I rebuilt the hydraulics...

Pete

I stripped the whole car, inside and out using strip disks, about twenty in all. Messy / dusty but very efficient and no worrying residue.

One small point having stripped off the paint with these disks you do need to re key the surface or the primer will fail, please don't ask me how I know

David

Thanks very much for the advice,

I will take my discs back to screwfix and buy the recommended ones from Frosts

How do you rekey the surface?

Thanks

Rub down with 180 grit all over, this will give you a good key and scratches wont be too deep.

Stuart.

When using any chemical stripper you must take care to remove ALL traces of it before repainting using something like meths. Small traces will make themselves known by blistering disappointingly soon and of course in hard to treat areas.

Mike