How much movement should there be in the differential. I was fitting a new spline to the rear wheel when I noticed that there is some free play when you move the wheel.

I will measure it later today. I think that it is still adjusted as when new and is probably due for an overhaul.

Please advise.

Thanks Richard & H.

It depends if you are measuring the slack in the differential or the play between the crown wheel and pinion. If you have one wheel locked and the other free to move than you will be measuring the total play across both the CW&P and Diff, which will probably be significant on a car that is original.

Rgds Ian

PS There is a very good section on overhauling a differential on the Technicalities CD and describes how the star wheels and pinion gears should be shimmed until they feel 'Notchy' to turn. The only problem is that as a result of wear in the gears you might not be able to find the right thickness shims to achieve that nowadays. - at least that was my experience, things may have changed since then as it was a few years ago that I did mine.