Inertia Switch . . . . . .

Good afternoon all

Fuel pump stopped today, luckily, on my drive.

1st stop; fuse box, no apparent issues
2nd stop; inertia switch . . .looped it out and all is well.

Attached, photos of the innerds of the switch.
Even to my untutored eye, this isn't right.

I've tried gentle rectification, to no avail, so;

Does anyone have an inertia switch, in good order, they would be happy to Sell?

If I can find one, more aggressive rectification of mine will be undertaken.

Tried the interwebnet thingy and fleabay, but, excluding one in Holland for £55.00, nothing coming up.

Hi,

Have a look at ebay item no 151122629038.

Rog

Thanks

Saw these after I put up my post.

Remembered that the old Jags used the same switch

If there is not one available via a forumite, then I'll give these a go.

John put inertia switch into the search box and loads of Posts come up some with a Modern Replacement.

NIALL

Thanks, didn't think far enough forward enough to do this, so will give it a go, once I have eaten.

Edited by wjgco

If you elect to go for the Rover replacement I have a schematic for an adapter to mount to the fire wall utilising the original mount points. PM me if you'd like it.

I got mine 3D printed up.

If you elect to go for the Rover replacement I have a schematic for an adapter to mount to the fire wall utilising the original mount points. PM me if you'd like it.

I got mine 3D printed up.

Revington TR offer a modern replacement which comes in a kit with everything you need to fit. I've fitted this to my TR6 and am pleased with the result.

Gents

Many thanks both

I am one of those anal types who would like to maintain some originality, so will go with the original Jaguar type replacement option on fleabay I guess.

Having admitted the above, I plan to change the fuse box to a non original!!!

This is due to repeated problems with the original type, I'm anal, but not completely So!

If I have further problems with the inertia switch, I will be coming back to this post to follow up on your advice.

• 2 weeks later...

Gents

Many thanks both

I am one of those anal types who would like to maintain some originality, so will go with the original Jaguar type replacement option on fleabay I guess.

All

Feedback

Having expressed my intention to stay original, I have proceeded to ignore myself.

Having looked closely at my switch, Im not confident that the 2nd hand switches available are going to be a long term solution, they are, after all, old and used.

Attached is the solution I have gone for

Very many thanks for all, the help.

post-12772-0-28522300-1474912308_thumb.jpg

post-12772-0-27684500-1474912322_thumb.jpg

Edited by wjgco

Nice little fitting to keep the original clip. Is that a rubber bushing? What model replacement is that one? I've only seen the Rover ones but I suppose you could rip anything out of a junked car...

Why do we need an inertia switch ? in case it rolls over and over and bursts into flames.Waste of time as you have shown.I shorted mine out via a hidden switch which I use as as part of my security system.

Bet this post upsets the purists.

I'm no purist and not upset at all by your post but are you seriously saying that you'd feel safe after a shunt which disrupted a fuel line and left fuel pumping at 106 psi all over the place? If so good luck to you, you might get away with it.

Why do we need an inertia switch ? in case it rolls over and over and bursts into flames.Waste of time as you have shown.I shorted mine out via a hidden switch which I use as as part of my security system.

Bet this post upsets the purists.

AA you will have read, I can get a bit analysis about originality at times, but, realism usually kicks in, eventually.

My car had no switch when I bought her, just a loop between the spade connectors.

With fuel at 105 psi plus and both the M25 and A12 to contend with, I am a lot happier with a fuel cut out, but, each to his own

Matt

The mount is experimental.

It's a hardwood rod which has steel washers each end, to prevent slipping

The switch is mounted to a 3mm aluminium plate, screwed to the hardwood.

If it is OK (and it appears to be) then I will remake it using aluminium tube, to replace the hardwood.

Gotcha.

Must confess, as I assumed the switch would never be avail here downunder I drilled out the rivets of the clip and mounted the adapter in its place

Gotcha.

Must confess, as I assumed the switch would never be avail here downunder I drilled out the rivets of the clip and mounted the adapter in its place

Thought about that, but, being anal about getting her back to original, if I can, I decided to leave the clip and work with it.

I would love to go back to the original type of switch if I can

Nice little fitting to keep the original clip. Is that a rubber bushing? What model replacement is that one? I've only seen the Rover ones but I suppose you could rip anything out of a junked car...

Matt

Sorry forgot to detail the switch

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/182274613335?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%

Thought about that, but, being anal about getting her back to original, if I can, I decided to leave the clip and work with it.

I would love to go back to the original type of switch if I can

Original type switch here.http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/151122629038?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Stuart.

Edited by stuart

That's a strange looking Switch.

Made by the same company (at least, they have the same Co name) as the original switch.

This one seems robust and operates both ways.

Made by the same company (at least, they have the same Co name) as the original switch.

This one seems robust and operates both ways.

Sorry John it's when I click on Stuart's Link it brings up Graygate Plastic Polish,it's my stupid sense of humour.

Sorry John it's when I click on Stuart's Link it brings up Graygate Plastic Polish,it's my stupid sense of humour.

Niall

Saw the polish and smiled . . .assumed it was old age

Sorry chaps must have been doing two things at once and got the links mixed up. Now edited or if you cant be bothered to go back a page its here too for an original inertia switch. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/151122629038?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Stuart.

Sorry chaps must have been doing two things at once and got the links mixed up. Now edited or if you cant be bothered to go back a page its here too for an original inertia switch. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/151122629038?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Stuart.

Watching those Stuart

I have had 2 of these in 2 1/2 years, so my confidence in them has waned somewhat.

Whilst the one I have fitted is not pretty, at least it is new, so should . . . . .should be reliable.

I guess time will tell