Clicking rear suspension..?

Hi all,

Hopefully someone can help me figure out what a clicking / ticking sound is from the rear suspension..!?

Initially I thought it was from the front, but now think it's the rear nearside.

It sounds as though I've got a stone in the tyre tread, but there definitely isn't one!

Frequency of the sound seems to be similar to wheel rotation speed.

Not there 100% of the time as far as I can tell, but more easily noticed when passing a solid object for the sound to bounce off, such as a wall..

If anything it seems more common at the end of a run, rather than at the start..

Any ideas to help me track it down would be appreciated.. I don't want something silly, like a wheel to fall off because I neglected it.. ;)

Many thanks in advance..

Richard

Richard,

My first though would be a front pad picking up against the disc. Try nipping up the ns front wheel bearing and see it if the clicking goes away.

As for rear clicking. The UJs can make more of a light knocking but only when accelerating usually. Wheel bearings whine/grumble, though I suppose a really badly worn one might click: jack up the trailing arm and heave on the wheel to check for play. Rear wheels do come off but most reports are from hub failures after bearing overhauls....

Peter

Hi Richard

Not sure if you're running wire or steel wheels, but if wires, it could be a loose spoke causing the noise. Having said that, if you have steel wheels it is still worth examining the wheel carefully, and the tyre for any bulges in the wall.

Might be an idea to swap the rear wheels over and see if the noise moves with it. If not a road wheel issue, check the hub, and inside the brake drum as a shoe return spring for instance may have come off or broken.

Other than that jack it up, put stands under it, and rotate the wheels by hand to see if you can reproduce it. Just a few ideas- hope you can trace it.

Kevin

Edited by boxofbits

Hi Richard,

on my 4A (similar brakes) I had a rattling brake shoe return spring. I applied a blob of RTV and stuck the middle of it to the back plate.

This sorted it. Some years later I had to remove the RTV and the rattle stayed away.

Roger

Hi Rich

I don't want to alarm you but I had the clicking as mentioned after a trip up to the lakes a few years ago it turned out to be in my case teeth broken of the crown wheel try jacking it up on axle stands start her up and then listen it might give a better idea of where the noise is coming from hope this helps?

bluebob

I had the same on my 4a (same driveshafts & hubs), the noise was always in the same position on the rear offside wheel as it was rotating. There was no accompanying play in the wheel when checking for bearing movement.

I changed the hub and the noise stopped, must have been just on its way out before any play had developed.

Steve.

Hi gents,

Many thanks for the different suggestions to check into.. Will certainly try those, including swapping wheels etc around, to see if the noise moves!

Wheels are standard steel ones.. I don't think the hubs have been rebuilt (my Dad owned the car from 1979 until I took it over 4 years ago, so the history is fairly well known).

I remember the diff being replaced some time ago, but not many miles on it since.. Probably less than 10,000.

Won't take that for granted though, so will jack it up and see what I can find then.

Interesting suggestion about the brake springs Roger.. Hadn't thought of that one!

Will also check the front of car, just in case!

Will certainly check the hubs for play.. That's the one that most concerns me!

If I track it down I'll post what it is back on here..

Thanks again.. :)

Richard