Graunching Noise From Prop Shaft Area

We was leaving for the ferry to France the Friday before last and as I pulled away there was a graunching noise from around the prop shaft area. The day before I filled up wth fuel and everything was good but when I went around a corner I heard a loudish clonk which I assumed was something in the road, from then on home still everything was good, loaded the car up in the morning and off we went when this graunching started. It sounds worse in 1st eases off in 2nd nothing in 3rd or 4th but the diff is sounding noisier than usual.

I had the gearbox rebuilt last year and it's only done 2000 miles so I'm hoping it's not that.

Got under the car this morning and the offside drive shaft has a graunch feel when I twist it holding each end.

So I removed both D/S and there is play in both sets in the splines and both outer UJs show movement. I also removed the prop shaft and there is slight play in the splines and the front UJ.

Do I....

1 Drop the diff and check that inside.

2 Drain the gearbox and see if there is anything in the oil. (God I hope not, as I had that out four times last year).

3 Replace both hubs with new and new D/S from proptech (this was on my to do list anyway)

4 Is there anything I can do about the slight spline play in the prop?

Appreciate your comments and recommendations as usual.

(null)

Edited by Kevo_6

Wow Kev,

you certainly know how to do things.

Shouldn't be any movement in the UJ's - new UJ's

The DS's will have the smallest amount of play because they area sliding fit but of you can feel it it is probably too much. - New DS's

If they are the original hubs then they are getting old so perhaps an early Christmas pressy = The TRShop Bastuk hubs are meant to be good.

I shall be treating myself to a pair in the next few weeks.

The propshaft is much the same - the UJ's shouldn't have any wear/play.

However the splines lead less of a hard life than the DS's as the splines do not go in and out. Speak to Proptech services about them when you order the DS's.

You may well find the the graunching sound is just one of the four bearings on a UJ - I had one go 'D' shaped.

Roger

Wow Kev,

you certainly know how to do things.

Shouldn't be any movement in the UJ's - new UJ's

The DS's will have the smallest amount of play because they area sliding fit but of you can feel it it is probably too much. - New DS's

If they are the original hubs then they are getting old so perhaps an early Christmas pressy = The TRShop Bastuk hubs are meant to be good.

I shall be treating myself to a pair in the next few weeks.

The propshaft is much the same - the UJ's shouldn't have any wear/play.

However the splines lead less of a hard life than the DS's as the splines do not go in and out. Speak to Proptech services about them when you order the DS's.

You may well find the the graunching sound is just one of the four bearings on a UJ - I had one go 'D' shaped.

Roger

Thanks Roger, I'll take the UJs out and have a closer look. Yes I will buy new hubs from TR shop and get the shafts from Proptech. Should I remove the diff for a butchers?

Kevo, Check the pressed steel diff hanger that's bolted to the nose of the diff. They are known fracture to leave the diff hanging on three studs. Peter

I checked that Peter thanks, it has been welded before and the diff hangers.

You can substitute the original joints by these:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/land-rover-universal-joint-brand-new-TVC-100010-genuine-/320947993853

They are heavy duty and have longer needles.

Thanks for the link Andreas. Edited by Kevo_6

Kevo, I think you 'got your wish'!!!They don't look very well.....They will almost certainly 'grumble'.

Thanks John

Removed both hubs this afternoon, so I'm now ready to order new hubs/drive shafts and I will also get Proptech to check the prop while I'm there. Fingers crossed everything will be ok afterwards.

Edited by Kevo_6

Hi kevo , was your graunching noise preceeded by a clicking sound from the same area? by chance? Cheers Andy

Hi kevo , was your graunching noise preceeded by a clicking sound from the same area? by chance? Cheers Andy

Hi Andy

No clicking, almost felt like something was missing a tooth, sometimes felt it coming from between the gearstick and diff.

P.S. Heard a clonk the afternoon before, sounded from the rear though.

Edited by Kevo_6

Hi Kev,

your UJ is typical of a well used unit. However I don't think that would graunch.

Sometimes the indentations are at an angle.

keep looking.

Roger

Hi Roger

Yes the indentations are at an angle, so from what you are saying look elsewhere?

I suppose I just as well drain gearbox (aghhhh) and while most bits are out drop the diff for a good look. Happy days...

Hi
Well I've drained the oil from the gearbox and there is a fair bit of swarf in it. I will post a pic later when I'm near the laptop, looks like another trip to Pete Cox. Still, at least he's near Proptech.
Bu$$eeeeeeeeer!!!!!!!!!!

Hi Kev,

place all the components on some layers of kitchen roll and then wash the lot in petrol to remove the gunge.

That way you will be able to see what is what.

Drain the waste oil from the box (you did keep it) through some kitchen roll to see all the brass material.

It does look messy.

Roger

Hi Kev,

place all the components on some layers of kitchen roll and then wash the lot in petrol to remove the gunge.

That way you will be able to see what is what.

Drain the waste oil from the box (you did keep it) through some kitchen roll to see all the brass material.

It does look messy.

Roger

Hi Roger

Yes i drained the oil through and this is whats left, no real brass parts but some very fine brass looking particles. The rest is what you see, pulled off with the upper magnets in the photo.

What do you recon?

I will was it through with some petrol later, but it appears there is a lot very small steel bits.

Edited by Kevo_6

I have washed the swarf with petrol and it all looks like white metal flake, no large bits at all.

While I was at it I washed the UJ cups out, found one roller pin in half and that cup was really graunched up.

Good job I've got plenty of time on my hands.

Hi Mike

Thanks for the good luck, I think I may need it. The last 3 years have been hell, still my glass is half full.

I know you have through the mill somewhat, keep the faith & be positive you know it puts a smile on your face when all is well. :)

Cheers

Mike B)