New electronic Ignition on the Horizon

Hi All.

There seems to be quiet a variance in experience and views on the Pertronix electronic ignition system and my TR has been fitted with this unit by the previous owner. It is one of the items that causes me concern in terms of the car's poor running that I'm currently addressing.

Having previously dealt with Pazon here in NZ through my motorcycle business, I was aware of their Energy Booster kit.  This utilises the distributor points as a trigger mechanism only, so because of the low current they don't burn and have a long stable operating life.  Another advantage is that the unit will tolerate very low voltage (down to 8 volts from memory) which the Pertronix unit will not I believe.

However, on checking the Pazon website I noticed that this unit is no longer available, so I gave them a call and hence the reason for this post.

Unfortunately I was correct in that the unit is currently out of production due to other commitments, but they plan to start producing it again in a few months time and it will work effectively with multi-cylinder engines, having been widely used on V8s etc previously without any issues. The only downside is that the module is relatively large and mounts externally to the distributor so may not suit some purists.

But, the good news (and this is from Andy himself) is that due to the high demand for such a product they plan to develop and manufacture an internal distributor unit (or units) for Lucas distributors similar to the Pertronix setup .  The even better news is that Pazon products have an extremely good reputation for reliability in the motorcycle world, so anyone who is interested should keep an eye on their website for developments - www.pazon.com.

I hope this is helpful.

Gavin

[attachment=19713:Pazon Energy Booster.jpg]

Edited by KiwiTR6

That's interesting Gavin. Quite an old concept I think but nothing wrong with that in principle. What I'm struggling with is the branding as an energy booster. If it simply takes the coil switching function away from the points I don't see where any extra energy comes from.

Edited by peejay4A

Hi Pete,

going back to the 70's there were capacitor discharge systems (Sparkrite was one) that were able to (or claimed to) give a boost compared to a simple CB replacement.

At the time the capacitors were quite big. I don't think any of that would fit inside a dizzy cap.  

However Technology has moved on since then.

Roger

Sparkrite was a very good system, I still have one on the shelf now. It did give a serious boost to the spark but you still ran a normal dizzy set up of points etc. We used to use them back in the 70`s on racing Jaguars.

Stuart.

Buy the US Version called Street Fire made by MSD which is a CD system! As Roger has pointed out you still need a switch system points or electronic. I have used a Pertronix for years, during this this Summer I worked on another TR6 and the Pertronix System was meant to be at fault but it turned out to be the Rotor Arm! These US Systems take no prisoners, your whole ignition system has to be able to cope and up to their spec.

Bruce.