Wire Wheels or MX5 Seats?

• 3 weeks later...

I've also been considering Mazda MX5 seats, the separate headrest type to try to maintain reasonable period look.

I've seen various references to the floor mounting/fixing kits being available off the shelf but it strikes me it can't be too difficult to make something myself. Does anyone have pictures or drawings of such brackets please that I could use as a starting point.

I've seen somewhere, but can't remember where, a reference to a suitable bracket being shown on the Technical CD that all members were issued with sometime ago but I haven't a clue where my CD is.

Help!

Dave McD

I've also been considering Mazda MX5 seats, the separate headrest type to try to maintain reasonable period look.

I've seen various references to the floor mounting/fixing kits being available off the shelf but it strikes me it can't be too difficult to make something myself. Does anyone have pictures or drawings of such brackets please that I could use as a starting point.

I've seen somewhere, but can't remember where, a reference to a suitable bracket being shown on the Technical CD that all members were issued with sometime ago but I haven't a clue where my CD is.

Help!

Dave McD

Dave if you contact the office they will probably send you another copy, thats the type of brackets I use and they are decently substantial unlike other ones which will make the floors split around the mountings eventually.

Stuart.

Dave if you contact the office they will probably send you another copy, thats the type of brackets I use and they are decently substantial unlike other ones which will make the floors split around the mountings eventually.

Stuart.

This might be what you're looking for:

Thanks both,

That looks a bit agricultural but a good starting point. It appears that the steel channel must lift the seat height.

I note that one of the usual suspect suppliers refers to a different lower type for "tall drivers." Does anyone have details of these?

Dave

Dave

These work fine http://www.trtrader.com/parts-lists/Veneer-Dashboards-Door-Cappings.htm If you need to see them let me know,I think the cost is not worth you making them.

Neil,

TR Trader is very coy about anyone seeing his adaptor brackets, presumably for fear of someone like me copying them. Plenty of photos of fitted seats on that link but none of the actual brackets.

Notwithstanding your comments about cost, if you have some or know someone who has I wouldn't mind coming over to yours to have a look please.

Dave

Actually, this eBay listing gives you much better images than the ones I took :)

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MAZDA-MX5-EUNOS-MIATA-SEAT-CONVERSION-FOR-TRIUMPH-TR4-TR5-TR6-/282242241400?hash=item41b6f2d378:g:6sAAAOSwnbZYDIlw

..... Andy

They look very good value for £55,I'm impressed.

indeed, i think i paid nearer £70 plus postage, at that price (inc delivery) i wouldn't consider any other route

....... Andy

Actually, this eBay listing gives you much better images than the ones I took :)

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MAZDA-MX5-EUNOS-MIATA-SEAT-CONVERSION-FOR-TRIUMPH-TR4-TR5-TR6-/282242241400?hash=item41b6f2d378:g:6sAAAOSwnbZYDIlw

..... Andy

They look very good value for £55,I'm impressed.

Niall

Dont be and not the same ;)

Thanks Andy,

Like Niall, to me they look just the job and good value.

I certainly wouldn't try to make anything myself with these on offer but I'll hold back from ordering until I've been to see your TR Trader items Neil on Friday as arranged.

Dave

I still say the ones as described in the CD are stronger and do not lift the seats too far. Any good metalworking shop could make them up from the drawings for £50 or less. They are much stronger than the TR Trader ones. I wouldnt like my seat going anywhere in the case of a serious shunt and as they spread the load across the floor better then you dont suffer from cracks around the mounting captives.

Stuart.

Paul,

I've seen these on another MX5 seat thread. Yes they look a superb piece of engineering, almost tool room quality. But wow! What a price. $180 will be approx. £145 + freight + a bit of import duty at the Airport possibly. They'll end up around £170 - £175 by the time they land on your garage bench. A bit too spicy for me.

I'll adopt one of the options already mentioned thankyou.

Been to see Neils' TR Trader brackets today and they are workmanlike.

Stuart,

I can't read the attached CD instructions (print too blurred, too small) but how much do the brackets raise the seat from the floor.

Dave

I had a set made up from the CD drawing a few years ago for £30. and they were folded.

am having another set made up just now, will take some pics too, but I bet more than £30 now.

So owning a classic TR6 is mainly about comfort not looks? Hmmm...When I look at a Classic sports car, be it a TR, Ferrari or an Aston I must remember to try out the Seats for comfort first! Okay I'll get my coat (again!)

Paul,

I've seen these on another MX5 seat thread. Yes they look a superb piece of engineering, almost tool room quality. But wow! What a price. $180 will be approx. £145 + freight + a bit of import duty at the Airport possibly. They'll end up around £170 - £175 by the time they land on your garage bench. A bit too spicy for me.

I'll adopt one of the options already mentioned thankyou.

Been to see Neils' TR Trader brackets today and they are workmanlike.

Stuart,

I can't read the attached CD instructions (print too blurred, too small) but how much do the brackets raise the seat from the floor.

Dave

You take the end brackets off the MX runner mounts and then with the new brackets fitted the rear of the runner is1" off the floor and the front is about 2", You know how tall I am and they are great for me even with the hardtop on. Its the strength of them that makes the difference for me. You can also remove the seats in less than 5 minutes.

Stuart.