Hello Nick, take it to a place where the tester is an old bloke in a brown coat, probably wearing a tie, he'll understand taper bearings, that it's an old car and may even take it for a run to 'double check', last time I took mine in the old guy tightened up my steering, adjusted my headlights for me and even spotted a nut that wasn't tight by some witness marks, and he enjoyed doing it, good luck, Andrew

Nick,

For years I’ve been taking my cars to the local “British Telecoms” garage. Many years ago they were forced to take on private cars as well as their own fleet.

They don’t offer discount prices, but neither do they look for minor faults just so they can charge you a fortune and make a profit fixing the car.

My local one has always done pre-MOT’s for free, allowing me to fix any problems and then take it back for the MOT proper.

They must be good, because they are recommended by Martin Lewis (Money Saving Expert.)

But I’ve always wondered why they are called “MOT”. We haven’t had a “Ministry Of Transport” since 1970….

Charlie D.

Why not contact Peter Bowden from Chilterns Region. Nice friendly, helpful guy.

Hi Nick

I live near Buckingham, just down the road from MK, and have taken my TR4A to West End Motors in Buckingham for the last 15 years or so

This is a small family type business and the MOT tester used to work on TRs

They are sympathetic to the needs of classic car owners!

Not so sure about the MK area

Good luck

Nick