Yes the engine seems to run hot,not sure about cooler.

Oil pressure light has come on once when stuck in traffic. Oil pump was replaced with a toleranced pump from enginuity in 2007,engine rebuilt in 1990 but only done 26,000 miles since.

Yes the engine seems to run hot,not sure about cooler.

Oil pressure light has come on once when stuck in traffic. Oil pump was replaced with a toleranced pump from enginuity in 2007,engine rebuilt in 1990 but only done 26,000 miles since.

Thermostat fitted on the cooler pipes?

Recommend thermostat!

Unless you live in a hot country, go pass storming or tow a caravan, or race, a cooler is non-essntial. Fit one, and your oil will spend most of the time too cold, when it is as poor a lubricant as too hot.

Test the state of your cooler by taking it out of circuit. If oil pressure fine then cooler needs cleaning out. If not, then as above. Cleaning is like radiator flushing, except you fill it with engine cleaner fist and let I soak, then hot water from both directions until it comes out clean. Blow through with an air line at end,or hang it up to drain.

John

At what temps does modern 20/50 oil become less effective as a lubricant (both high and low) and whether or not your engine heats the oil above that or the cooler chills it below that in normal use?

Any oil experts able to answer that one?

Engine was rebuilt by Rees bros at a cost of £3500,which i think is a bit steep for 26 years ago?

It also has a stage 3 head,but i don't know which cam is fitted possibly just the original 150?

what does 20/50 mean is it temp or viscosity

20/50 shows its a multi-grade oil that covers the viscosity range of 20/50 to the SAE Standard for engine oil. The test is, a certain volume of oil has to pass through a hole of a given size at a given temperature.

Is your invoice itemised? If so what did they do for a £3500 engine rebuild?

Bruce.

Mg,

What I was looking for on that invoice was: Re-bore + Pistons + Re- regrind Crank + Bearings! If there are no other invoices referring to a full engine rebuild including engine removal + new clutch etc. This may well be the cause of your problems? As it would look to me that this work was not done. How much history have you got? Is the correct mileage known?

Bruce.

I had a quick read and all those items are there but no crank regrind. 20 thou rebore. No mention of a stage 3 head that I could see though.

Edited by peejay4A

Rees Bros are a nice bunch, you might give them a ring as although this was a long time ago they may still have records or even remember!

Steve

I had a quick read and all those items are there but no crank regrind. 20 thou rebore. No mention of a stage 3 head that I could see though.

Read it carefully and it says crack test and regrind crank £49.13. Interesting to note that a so called uprated oil pressure relief spring fitted and that the hours changed between the job sheet total and the bill total.

Stuart.

Crank crack test and regrind is on the far right column,along with thrust washers and bearings.

Stage 3 head was fitted in 2000 , when converted To run on unleaded,along with extractor exhaust.

car runs fine with no clonks or black exhaust, will try to clean out the oil cooler and prv.

will keep informed of future progress!

Michael