Faulty brake master cylinders

I have posted before about a faulty brake master cylinder I fitted to my car,I have had it replaced with one that had been tested before dispatch and now this one has failed as well. This time while driving the car, Feed back before informed me that there have been problems going back over 2 years ago from a company TRW, this is the make I had fitted on both occasions, I have now fitted a non branded make as I have no other choices left. It was lucky this time I was able to stop with the hand brake,

Regards

Duncan

Thank you both for the info, I hope the one I fitted on Friday proves to be OK. I have the original still so this may be an option. I wanted others to know there are faulty ones still on shelves out there somewhere, The supplier I got mine from are not supplying anymore due to ongoing faults,

Roger, if problem persists with the new one I will contact the Quality dept

Thanks guys

@ Duncan,

" not supplying any more" So they say......but I would not trust them with a barge pole. One failure is bad enough, but two...

The PQI scheme is designed to protect all TRR members form faulty parts. I think many reading this would like to know about your two failed m/cs. PQI is there to help that process. Or you could at least name and shame the supplier on here. As it is, you leave the forum with no useful information as to how to avoid repeating your experience. You will claim that is your prerogative: true. But what if someone is injured as a result of yet another failed m/c. Can we all say we had done enough to prevent that?

To me there is an element of responsibility on members to use PQI for safety-critical parts.

Peter

Edited by Peter Cobbold

This has been covered before when Guy and I found the same problems , a search will tell you.

Neil, I recall threads where the m/cs were faulty right out of the box. Tipping valves not seating IIRC. What Duncan's post shows is we now have them failing after a short period of use, having initally been OK. That's even worse, safety wise. Peter

There is a lesson here again do not throw your old OEM parts away! As Duncan says send your OEM Clutch or Master or Slave Cyl. to Past parts to have it re-conditioned. Stainless liners do not pit or corrode and the seals are made in the UK!

The same applies to OEM Water pumps, one person that I know has had 4 pattern ones in one year! Send old OEM pump to SP Pumps, it will come back as good as the original or better!

Bruce.

TR Gold....

For the rubbish I suggest we extend the chemistry to 'buy and you die' categories

TR NaH

TR PoO

TR ScHeISSe

Edited by Peter Cobbold

Don't overestimate the value of OE parts, used or new . . . . . the cylinders, master or slave, can and do corrode both internally and externally.

That can evidence itself as visible holes in the casting, or as porosity . . . . . .

I've binned three OE Girling 5/8" master cylinders this summer - one of them new old stock Stanpart and two used items, because of corrosion and/or porosity.

The alloy castings were never that good, and even nos unused items can deteriorate catastrophically in storage . . . . . .

Similarly, this year Bert had to bin the TR8 masters, and then the reservoirs, for reasons of porosity - despite their all having been reconditioned at great expense by the OE manufacturers some 8 years back, and hardly used since. Usual Bert, never replace an original component that can be rebuilt, even if that's twice the cost of simple replacement with new equivalent.

Stainless steel sleeves are fine, in themselves, but they are only bore sleeves . . . . . which does not solve problems of corrosion elsewhere in the casting.

Cheers

Alec

Just to add to this,I have had a master cylinder new, and I was unable to bleed it, it's going back to the supplier who will supply me a new one from the same manufacturer! And round it goes

If no-one uses the PQI scheme it will " go round and round" until some poor soul gets injured, or worse, as a result of one of these brake m/c failing at exactly the wrong moment. As a club we can solve this. As an individual - not a chance, this has been going on for years. If we leave this situation to continue round and round eventually one of us will cop it and the bereaved family sue the supplier. Who then goes out of business. I would use that latter argument to support naming and shaming the supplier of failing safey critical parts. Its in the supplier's interest too.

The PQI form is here:

http://www.tr-register.co.uk/pqi

Around 1980 the TRR alerted members in a typewritten TRaction to front wishbone bracket failures and informed the MoT scheme too. That will have saved several TR drivers' lives. If we could act responsibly then we can do it far more easily nowadays.

I really do think owners who experience a safety critical part failing have a moral responsibility to act through the TRR and PQI.

Peter

Peter

Been there done that and letters/email did nowt :angry: I fitted 2 and both failed thankfully my daughter was not driving at the time.I have one fitted on one of my cars after complaints to the suppler at that time and now seems ok. maybe they paid attention ? could be that ? is getting rid of the duff ones?.

Edited by ntc

Peter,

Doesn't the TR Register also have a legal duty of care to protect it's members, and the public who may be involved, in the failing of known sub-standard critical parts?

I hope the club carries good insurance.....

........but better if it was never needed.

Alan

Edited by barkerwilliams

Peter,

Doesn't the TR Register also have a legal duty of care to protect it's members, and the public who may be involved in the failing of known sub-standard critical parts?

I hope the club carries good insurance!

Alan

No, and so it should be.

Neil,

Nope.

4. Faults with vehicles, parts and accessories

Faults in the way vehicles, vehicle parts and accessories are designed or made have to be registered with the Driver and Vehicle Standards Agency (DVSA) if they:

• mean it could become unsafe in the future if it’s not fixed
  • could mean that the vehicle, part or accessory no longer meets the legal standard

Alan

Hi Alan,

as Neil points out; the problem lays between the supplier and the customer.

The club is powerless to tell members what to buy. As for legal responsibility how can they force both suppliers and customers to do the right thing.

How can the club broadcast to the world that a component is rubbish - we do not have professional expertise to do so.

However, I believe we are the only club that will investigate issues that are brought forward by the members.

The Parts Quality initiative is a service run by volunteers to speak to suppliers about parts that are dodgy.

It was the failure of the TR6 Master Cy's that helped create this initiative.

Roger

Roger,

You are absolutely correct the club cannot tell members what to buy, however that is not the issue, the club can report, of draw the attention of the relevant authorities to serious potential problems with a possible manufacturing defect.

Put it another way, hypothetically I really, really hope, brake cylinder fails on the road, fatalities or life changing injuries involved. What do you think the stance of the victims would be? Oh yes these problems were well known but the TR Register did nothing about it – Oh that’s alright then!

It wasn’t the clubs job to do anything about it, so the club would hold the moral high-ground.

You are probably correct on head gaskets and door hinges etc, but brakes??

https://​forms.vosa.gov.uk/Vsdr/create

​Alan

Edited by barkerwilliams