Fuel level indicator

Hello all. My fuel sensor/level indicator occasionally goes off the rails, then comes good of it's own accord. However, over the last couple of weeks it is consistently under reading by 1/4 of a tank, ie full to the brim shows 3/4 full and indicated 1/4 full there is 1/2 tank left. Is this fixable? I've cleaned the contacts at the top of the tank (external) and no change. Any suggestions would be good. This happened after I over filled the tank a couple of weeks ago and fuel spilled out over the turtle deck, the auto cut off on the nozzle didn't work.

I think that by overfilling your sank the float at the end of the sender unit rod has some fuel in it now.

Over time it may come good again.

My fuel gauge isnt much better though

Steve

The same thing happened to me. Consistently showing 1/4 tank less than actual. First thing to do is check the gauge - do this by disconnecting the spade connectors on the tank sender unit and connect them together using a paper clip stuffed into each end of the wire and joining (careful not to touch any other wire/metal). Turn the ignition on - the gauge should go to full. If it doesn't there's either a wiring or gauge fault. Assuming the wiring/gauge are good, it's very likely to be the sender unit itself - it's just a variable resistor which alters the gauge needle position as the float goes up/down. My sender was broken somewhere within the resistor component - I replaced it and all is good. It's possible to get the tank out without disconnecting everything - remove top bolts and the bottom right side bolts, loosen the others and the tank will tip forward enough to get access to the sender. You may also need to disconnect the fuel return pipe towards the top front of the tank (as you're looking at it). I bought replacement from Rimmers which seems to be working ok.