Removing Gearbox & Overdrive

Hi Guys

Now that info is one of the reasons why we use this forum, it´s these home made mods etc. that inspires us to do it yourself. I have archived my copy of John´s e mail and will spend my spare time making one up and store on the garage wall.

I think we could all scratch our heads and come up with something simple like that for say a small bench hydraulic press for pressing bearings in and out. Anyone done that? What about a simple sheet metal bender while we are about it?

Dave

Hi John,

Excellent document received, congratulation and thanks' very much.

I shall study the opportunity to build one crane as per your study this coming winter.

Regards

Edited by Marc R
  • 3 weeks later...

Hi All.

After putting my box back in today I can honestly say I think it's a brilliant idea. Why did Triumph decide it would be a good idea to have to remove the box through the car ?In my younger days I did plenty of Ford clutches and they were much easier.

Mark.

• 8 months later...

Hi John,

Just finished building the crane and have removed and refitted my gearbox with ease. I fitted the 3" alignment dowel to begin with but found this made it difficult to get the clutch lever far enough forwards to clear the floor so removed it. Then with the clutch lever clear I screwed the dowel through the bellhousing and with the necessary wiggling the gearbox was in.

Great bit of kit.

Thanks very much.

Alan.

Great Stuff Alan,

Re the Clutch Lever, since writing the peice I've done another refit and now tie/cable tie the clutch lever as

far forward as possible through a hole in the bellhousing, to aid fitting -- this works OK with the alignment dowel.

Chuffed someone else built the crane, and then proved its worth.

Cheers,

John.

Edited by john

What an excellent idea and thread!

Was just watching the assembly of a Bentley engine and gearbox, and John's kit must make the same almost as easy.

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=bentley+engine+build&&view=detail&mid=EA19306A3A6C01D9F4FBEA19306A3A6C01D9F4FB&FORM=VRDGAR

From 8 minutes

Earlier, installing the pistons, see the 'horns' on the half-bigend? Another good idea that will guide it into place on the journal so easily! Got to think of how to do that on my engines.

John

• 3 years later...
On 8/15/2016 at 1:52 PM, stillp said:

Twenty minutes? Is that including a tea break?

Pete (recovering Imp addict)

I would like the plans for a lift to remove the TR6 transmission

• 2 months later...

Hi Folks,

is it possible to remove the GB & OD with the prop shaft and exhaust pipe  instu.?

I want to take it out to sort  an irritating oil leak but am struggling to find the enthusiasm to remove the pipe and prop.

Roger

Hi Roger

Never had to remove prop shaft or exhaust when removing gearbox and overdrive. Once disconnected you can push prop shaft back a bit on its splines. The bit that takes away any enthusiasm for this job is removing seats, H frame, tunnel, carpets, radio - the list goes on.

The first time I removed gearbox I made a list as I went along of all the things I removed or disconnected. Then when refitting I went through the list in reverse. In that way I didn't miss anything.

Enjoy your day!

Keith

Hi, I know this was an 'old' article but does anyone have a copy of the gearbox crane dimensions?  I am about to take out the gearbox out of my car as I found several bits of hardened steel (looked like bits of a cog) sitting in the bottom of the box when the oil was drained.................  Cheers  James