coil and ht leads

Hi Mark,

get a suppliers catalogue and simply stick a pin in it. :o

The question about these items pops up every now and then - and the answer is.......... there are many answers and yet no answer. :angry:

I thought I had simple cheap solid copper HT cables for 15 years but in fact they were the carbon/fabric variety - faultless.

I now have some slightly more expensive swanky HT leads that state they are made from stainless steel to give better conductivity.

Stainless steel is seriously low conductivity (4% as conductive as Copper (100%)) and should not be used for electric circuits where conductivity is a key issue - but they work.

People have reported that solid copper works very well. :)

And for the very expensive leads - they also work. <_<

I wonder what the bad ones are made from and why they don;t work !!!!! :blink:

As for coils - the gold Lucas sports coil works but could stop working.

The Dizzy Doc does a coil that should be very good.

There are stack of coils on ebay and I would bet a shiny 10p piece that the work as well.

Don't get them hot and they will last B)

Roger

• 1 month later...

I'm also on Magnecor leads and they seem to be performing well. However, while out driving today I experienced two instances of temporary power loss. Last time this happened I think it was down to a failing coil (at least the problem went when I replaced the coil). Since then I always carry a spare Lucas Sports coil. I can switch that over tomorrow, and then buy a new spare coil. I'd be interested on one from Martin (Dizzy Doc), but I'm not seeing coils listed on his site. Does he definitely do them Roger?

I'd also consider a Flame thrower coil, as I've heard good things. Which is the one to get?

Cheers, Darren

Currently made Lucas Sports Coils.

These coils are not of the same performance and reliability as the old Lucas Sports Coils of 40 years ago which were made by the then genuine Lucas in Birmingham. The only thing that is the same is the trading name. This name is now sold as a license to manufacture and sell, using the Lucas name, to sell to the unsuspecting public! Who think that they are buying a genuine product. That's why I use a Pertronix Coil and their Ignitor 2 System, both of which were bought from Summit Racing in the US.

Bruce.

Stuart,

The only problem is could the DD Rotor Arm and Cap take that voltage? MSD also do one called Street Fire which is also designed to work with the Pertronix Ignitor.

Bruce.

I have no idea you would have to ask Martin that, my comment was more tongue in cheek as thats one hell of a coil!

Stuart.

Stuart,

His rotor arm and d/cap work ok with the Pertronix ignitor 2/ Flame Thrower Coil 2 rated at 45kv. This is what I have been using, for the last 2 years.

Mike,

For a points set up you use their Flame Thrower Coil with a 3 ohm resistance, rated at 40kv.

Bruce.