Bad Guys at car shows

Thought this might be of interest.

There is a post going round on Facebook about a new tactic adopted by tea leaves looking to steal classic cars.

Apparently they are fixing trackers to desirable cars then tracing them back to wherever they are stored and stealing them. These pictures were from the Ford Fair at Silverstone. Apparently one car was stolen but another owner found the device and moved his car; his garage was later broken into.

post-12841-0-91936600-1470921514_thumb.jpgpost-12841-0-91166800-1470921531_thumb.jpgpost-12841-0-53992900-1470921549_thumb.jpg

Hey Alan, thanks for the info. I hope the restorations are still moving forward.

I have heard of this before, scares the .... out of me, just got to be vigilant. Maybe the show organisers need to take some more responsibility and not just the entrance fee !

Keep Trucking,

Conrad.

Vigilance is the key, as Conrad says.

It's a sad state of affairs, but I have to say that I rarely stray too far from my car at shows. I reckon one of the best defences we have is going to a show as part of the Register with fellow group members and parking together. In that way we look out for each others cars.

Apart from trackers, watch who is behind you when you drive home. It might be a bit paranoid, but if you keep seeing the same car in the mirror, that could be a concern. Another worry is shows that print guides that contain address details of owners. I'm never happy about that.

Keep 'em peeled!

If one of those was found on a car, it must be sending a single out so could that be intercepted and traced to the receiving base? I'm not into this sort of technology so just a thought.

Dave

I know ;)

:o Checking my motor now! :D

If one of those was found on a car, it must be sending a single out so could that be intercepted and traced to the receiving base? I'm not into this sort of technology so just a thought.

Dave

I'm not sure Dave, but I don't think so. It is possible to purchase GPS jammers, but these are illegal in the UK (not to own, I believe, but to sell and to use). Of course, the villains use them to block the trackers good guys use. Sadly, if someone wants your car that badly, they'll probably find a way to get it.

Tell me about it Darren. My daughter and her partner have just moved into a new house and were waiting for some new garage doors, cctv and electric gates to be put up. One of the workmen had an Epileptic fit when hanging them and bu**ered the job up, not his fault for being ill i know but they had to wait another four weeks for two more doors to be sent over from Germany (doesn't anyone make them over here?). Whilst waiting he had his Audi S6 stolen off the drive.

Everything is on now and up and running.

Now for the good news......He's looking at getting a R8. When I've test driven it i'll report back. :wub::lol::lol:

Dave

Edited by nowtelse2do

Might not just be @ car shows! Probably just as likely after leaving your car parked somewhere. These scumbags are around everywhere & we all need to look out for each other. I just wish we had some kind of deterrent in this country. There was a lot to be said for cutting off theives hands in days of old!

Sorry to hear about your daughter and her partner having their Audi S6 stolen Dave. Still, if the result is an R8 and you get to play, well there truly is a bright side :D

You are right, of course Monty, our cars can be targeted by thieves anywhere, but I imagine shows are a particular favourite of the professional thief. It is sad that we need to be so cautious about people taking interest in our cars. I was parked up in a public car park just recently and as I walked back to the car I could see in the distance a bloke taking great interest in it. He was taking photos and crouching down looking at the wheels. I gave him a bit of a start I think, because he hadn't heard me walk up behind him. "Do you want to buy it it?", I asked. As it happened, he was a genuine chap who loves old cars and we had a good chat, so there was no need for the extendable tyre lever on that occasion.

Darren

If I found that on my car, I would phone the bomb squad (or whatever tbey're called nowadays). They might take it seriously and track the perps.

These devices have a sim card in that you interrogate by calling it. It then texts back with your gps position. Take the sim card out and put into your old Nokia, dial your own number and you've got it's number. The codes to reprogramme and interrogate it for it's contact numbers is fairly straight forward and easily available online.

You can see the sim card tray and sim card in the photo above (silver bit with holes and white sim inside).

They need sight of the sky to see the gps sats so I'm not sure how well they can be hidden.

Any transmitter powered by a 9v battery isn't going to be strong or last long so I don't imagine this is tge sort of thing they had in "No Country For Old Men"

Edited by TR Mitch

Ah.. now chopping the hands off thieves. .... yes I could probably subscribe to that if I were a victim but wouldn't our political masters say we have to adopt sharia law to do so? Mmmm that's a non runner then. But you have to admit these particular thieves are cunning bar stewards.

hoges.

"If I found that on my car, I would phone the bomb squad (or whatever tbey're called nowadays). They might take it seriously and track the perps"

Err...how would you feel if they decided to handle it with a controlled explosion !!!!

Mick Richards

Article in this weeks CCW, says that these devices can be made up for less than £5-00 !. What chance do we have, if they want the car they will get it. There is always some one ahead of the game.

Parky

It's worse than you think...

http://techiefans.com/how-to-track-your-vehicle-on-the-cheap-using-your-smartphone-uk/?IM=A02b&TT=T03&utm_source=taboola&utm_medium=referral&SID=cbsinteractive-cnet&sxid=d7a77jh1002a

On the plus side you could drop one inside the car yourself and track it back with your phone.

Mick Richards

My understanding is that to get any sort of detection range TrackR relies on loads of people running the TrackR app and Bluetooth on and within range of the device and with a data connection. Intrinsic range is only 70 feet or so. Good for finding your keys in the house but limited outside.

Edited by peejay4A