Frank has been questioned through years on his actual knowledge of production as he focused on other things. This particular quote has turned up a couple of times in other writings. In retrospect I suspect the 220 number here is a typo of some nature. In the past couple of days I widely distributed this letter purposely clipping out the production statement to avoid further reference to it. The first 80-90 cars came to the USA as was the agreement in the initial manufacturing agreements with Dorothy and Aurthur, inclusive of the World Debut. A few cars in this group turn as promotion cars in England. Several other cars come to America via service men and customer overseas purchases and a hand full towards the end of production. Frank's statement here that Aurthur Anderson is primarily responsible for the manufacture of the Doretti in the first place is the significant point here.

Tom

I spoke to Paul Borel in my early years of research he had car 1042 which survives and car 1103. He shipped both cars to Shrilanka . His collective knowledge of known California cars was shared and found in early Register records. 1103 has yet to surface!!!!! his name is typed as Morel by mistake in early lists.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 years later...

reposted!

Edited by Ukmax
reposting

I know I'm bumping an old topic but I've only recently joined the forum and spotted this post following a search for "Monkspath garage" to see if it was mentioned.

I worked at Monkspath garage in the 1960s and of course knew John Churchley (who bore a remarkable resemblance to Graham Hill and probably "moulded" his hair and fine moustache to enhance the resemblance!)

I served quite a few Dorretti owners with parts, although the number of callers was diminishing as the decade closed. There were quite a few engine, brake and suspension parts in the stores but I was told that just prior to my joining "someone" purchased a very large quantity of parts, including the "remaining"' chassis parts. (NB I'm sure the terms "parts" was used when referring to Dorrretti chassis , which would imply that they may not have been complete chassis 

I was also told that, although it was considered, the garage never built a Dorretti car but did experiment with a  glass fibre body on a Dorertti chassis and I think the remains of this car were in the yard behind the garage along with some old glass fibre body sections  and (I think) moulds from earlier "Shirley" cars.  I did at one time own a "Shirley" which is what first introduced me to Monkspath garage, which was only  a couple of miles from my home. 

I was also told that it was though that the "someone" (mentioned earlier) did in fact build a Dorretti using the parts purchased but used a TR3 engine.

David

David,

It does appear that it is correct that Monkspath Garage did experiment with building a fibreglass body on a Doretti chassis.

In 1981 a "readers letter" from a Peter Jones, published in C&S, stated that circa 1957, he went with his father and brother to Monkspath Garage to look at a Kenmar (later called a Shirley). The "demonstrator" they were shown was built on a Swallow Doretti chassis. According to Peter, it was painted gloss black, had full depth doors with no sills below them and was fitted with fold-down windscreen which looked tacked-on.

Ken

Ken,

I seem to recall that the the remains of a car I referred to was in a neutral gelcoat finish but I can't swear to that. 

I may also be incorrect about only having Dorretti part chassis, there may well have been some complete chassis in the original acquisition from Swallow which were sold before I started there.

during the early/mid 60's Monkspath had completely finished with the "specials" market but as I said, they did continue to supply Dorretti parts right up until I left and also stocked some Triumph TR parts. They also continued to repair glass fibre cars and supplied to the public, various weights of glass fibre cloth, resin and body filler powder, i.e.,  slate dust, which one mixed with resin and was tough to rub down once fully cured!

John Churchley had moved into more mainstream motor dealing, securing dealerships for Skoda (yes, the "'OMG" originals!), Saab, NSU (also before the acquisition by VW) and Daf,  in around 1967, they became one of the first UK Toyota dealers.

The old garage was eventually demolished and became a David Prophet BMW dealership, the site is now (ironically) a major Toyota Dealership. In fact, the surrounding area has become sort of "motor city" with all main manufacturer's dealers locating there.

Perhaps there should be a blue plaque erected there saying "Swallow Dorretti reborn here". I'm joking of course but  I thinkJohn Churchley did make a massive contribution to the continuance of the marque.

Ahh, fond memories!

David

Edited by Ukmax