I've been thinking for some time about getting a second Triumph, whether it be another TR, a Stag, or a Vitesse. Both the TR7 and the TR8 are appealing, but one thing I've never been too sure about is the differences between the two, apart from the V8 engine in the 8 and the that 8s are nearly all convertibles. As I understand it, there are a lot of 7s out there that have been converted into 8s. Is there an obvious way to spot the difference between an original 8 and a converted 7, or is it just a case of looking at the car's history? All things being equal, are those cars that are an original 8 a better buy than a converted 7, or doesn't it matter?

Thanks, Darren

Buying a converted car opens the question how experienced

the person was who did the job.

Have a friend who bought a real rare original TR8 from the USA.

It had the battery at a different place, really heavy bumpers and the

federal injection, a real scrappy thing. Besides that the Americans

preferred colours inside/outside we might not choose.

So he had a lot of work to swap all to suit his needs and has now a Vitesse engine with 190HP

All that might also be achieved with a proper built TR7 V8.......

Anyway the wonderfull V8 is worth any work to get such a nice engine to use....

Darren the Real TR8 in RHD is a Very Rare Beast I think there was only 16 produced all others were LHD and Strangled for the USA.

Most V8 conversions are 7s in Convertable form and available from Late 1980 only,a 7 Fixed Head available from 76ish onwards is a better V8 conversion due to it being more rigid so that is what the Race/Rally Boys use,the Best Buy for you would be an Early Fixed Head 7 V8 with a Webasto Sliding Roof.

Darren,

Rust, rust, and yet more rust ....

Dont even think about buying one without a TR7 expert to look everywhere.

They are now rare in UK for one reason....rust, rust and more rust.

Peter

Thanks for the info and tips. Don't worry Peter, I'll certainly be asking someone with knowledge of the cars along with me to view anything I might consider.

I hadn't quite appreciated just how rare original TR8s are.

Cheers, Darren

An original TR8 is rarer than the TR5 with about 2700 produced. When I decided to buy one back in 2000 I felt that an original TR8 was the way to go! Don't forget that original TR8's all have power steering and I believe most, if not all, have air con!

Cheers John

Edited by John390

" Don't forget that original TR8's all have power steering and I believe most, if not all, have air con! "

That's two good reasons for preferring a TR7V8 then !

Apart from which, an OE TR8 was relatively gutless as V8s go, albeit typical of the USA Malaise Era in that respect.

Some years ago my local rolling road had in a freshly imported from the USA carb TR8, after a proper sorting and servicing it managed around the 105hp mark at the wheels. That's quite some way down on my son's tuned 8-valve 7, and little more than half the horses of the V8 Lady's former road 7V8. The one virtue of the TR8 being that it would tickover very slowly and pull away from sod all revs, which the tuned 4 and 8 potters most certainly would not.

Cheers

Alec

Body condition is the main consideration. Its better to buy a 2 litre 8 valve with a good body than a V8 that needs a lot of body repairs. One misconception is that you need to fit a V8 to get reasonable performance as the 2 litre 8 valve can be made to work. It just needs to breath.

Regards,

Dave

I have a TR7V8 /TR8 Replica ie as much like standard UK as possible with genuine Subframe, Powersteering and cast manifolds etc

I have up graded thisover the years as I use it alot with Princess calipers.vented discs/ Performer manifold and edelbrock 500

I have a 50k genuine rust free TR7 Cadulac treated from new matching engine/chassis

I have a clunker TR7 V8 with a Stage 2 motor Holley/Offenhauser ,LSD Fully adjustable Spax shocks No power steering

The Clunker has lighter steering than the 7 (lighter engine) is as fast as you like..very quick actually and the cheapest way to get a 6 sec to 60 V8 that I know of (£2800)

The 7 is an excellent car but a touch slow, quite heavy steering reasonably rotten brakes but economical

The TR8 replica is my everyday car it lives outside has done for 4 years(zero rust) starts first time ticks over like a bloodhound lapping milk, the power steering is to die for actually as it is really only noticeable at parking speeds an excellent system.

None of them have powerful enough brakes to be honest particularly the V8's these are fast cars even today. I'm probably going to pinch the LSD and put it in the V8 replica it is as silent as the grave and works a treat but the stage 2 engine is VERY addictive maybe it should go in the rust free TR7?

• 3 weeks later...

i used a standard 2 litre engined FHC for road and Targa events for a year then upgraded it to V8 with ugrades to brakes, suspension etc.

Much more fun to be had now and some nice comments from the Marshals about the noise it makes.

The unmodified V8 has halved the 0-60 time and the car will just pootle along in any gear on regularity sections. The car is on a pair of SU's as I understand it I can't go the Holley route although I think I could use quad webers :o

So much more enjoyable with the V8 and it doesn't seem to use much more fuel as the old two litre lump had to be thrashed to get the car to go.

There is no problem getting a waiver to use the car on road based and targa events as long as they don't run into the might (MSA rules)

The big issue with the V8 is traction on the tests................but as they say, less traction more action :D

I expect the purists would rather the originality was preserved but my car is far from concours and "enjoys" the occasional trip into the undergrowth or ditches when I run out of talent!

Wingo.

Thank you all for the additional thoughts. All very helpful for giving me food for thought.

I'm a bit torn now, because I really do fancy a V8 (never had one before and feel I should), but also like the idea of something more original. Wingo's tales of V8 fun might just tip the balance. I did notice that Robsport had a bit of a monster for sale recently - 4.6ltr, supercharged TR7, delivering 305 bhp :o

A Vitesse is a definite possibility Dave, especially as the wife wants one. There's an argument brewing there, as there's only one spot left in the garage and she seems to have her eye on it. If she buys a classic and puts in there, where will I put the one I want? I'm trying to find a way to persuade her to buy a car I want.

I'm not in a desperate rush, so I'll just keep my eyes open for now.

Cheers, Darren

Edited by TR5tar