Two holes on the dashboard meta panel - wonder what for ?

Have just replaced my old wooden dash with a nice shiny new one from Classical Dash (have no connection but both service and quality were great) and when I removed the old one I found the two circular cutouts between the tachometer and speedometer, just above the steering wheel in the photo below. Wondered what they were for, cant believe it a weight saving measure so were they used in another or perhaps previous model?

24b2ihj.jpg

Hi Kerry

I think US spec cars had warning lights in the 2 round holes, not sure for what and a hazard switch in the square one below. I am sure someone more knowledgable than I will be along soon.

I have a -71, and on mine they are used for a brake pressure warning lamp and an oil pressure warning lamp and they are wired in some kind of series manner (don't understand why?)

Interesting!

Can't see why those features would be catered for in the rhd dash panel.

Unless the panel is the same for lhd and simply flipped over the other way around?

Someone old and wise will be along with and answer, I'm only 50% qualified.....

Steve

They're in the same position as the ignition and turn warning lamps on the TR4/4A.

Sure did, then after putting everything back (was told it would take an hour or so, took me three!) turned it on, all dials and lights worked so tightened yo all the screw and whatnot, put back on steering wheel and started it up.

Guess what, bl**dy amp gauge wired up in reverse, so now permanently in red when charging and vice versa :wub: no way am I taking that all apart, so will see if I can just get to that gauge from behind or leave it as a 'feature' as some companies would say !

Think the correct answer is a hang over from the TR4 and it's indicator and ignition warning lights as mentioned by Pete

Tim

I have a -71, and on mine they are used for a brake pressure warning lamp and an oil pressure warning lamp and they are wired in some kind of series manner (don't understand why?)

Idem on my TR6 PI CP '71 CKD Belgium/Malines LHD, but one Hazard flasher lidght and the other one PDWA warning lamp

Regards