Full Spec of TRIPLE QX Premium 20w50 Engine Oil

I've been trying to find the full spec of Eurocarparts TRIPLE QX Premium 20w50 Engine Oil to check the ZDDP content but can't find it.

Anyone have any experience or thoughts about using this oil in a TR4? They do some good deals online for local collection, which means it's worth checking out - some forums suggest it is made by Shell.

Cheers

Rich

Rich

Hi

I'm not sure you will find the full spec, although the ZDDP content should be available.

I my day in the hydraulics industry, oil companies were very secretive about the make up of the additive packages in their oil(s).

When we wanted information from them, in order to ensure we did no damage to the additive packages when we were maintaining the oil, we met with a wall of bluster and no information.

All we were doing was trying to help.

It is my guess that they will be the same about their engine oils.

I'm not sure if they could do this for you but when I was up at Miller Oils lab to see the 'special brew' they made up for me to use at le Mans, they could test any oil and break it down into the constituent components. As far as I'm aware most oils are basically the same with a vegetable or mineral base and its the additives that make them perform better or worse under various condition. I am now convinced that the majority of TR's no longer need a multigrade oil as the usual 20w/50 compounds are un necessary.as they just don't get used during the winter months. From now on I will only be using a single grade oil like SAE50 but with the additives to reduce high speed wear. You could always ask Millers if they have a spec on your Triple x oil . Their lab techies are very nice people so give them ring. The worse they can do is say NO.

hoges

Paul if you are using a straight 50 SAE oil when Triumph suggested a 30 SAE at temperatures between 40F and 70F and a 40 SAE above 70F in the 1950's, does that mean you will not take the car out at say 55F to 60F.

At any reasonable UK temperature and the last time I drove through your area in June 2014 it was not tropical, was that an exceptionally cold June! Your car will find that a multigrade will assist startup lubrication feed at those temperatures or do you prefer a hair shirt approach for yourself and your car.

Rich, If that oil is sold as being suitable for modern cars with catalytic convertors it wont have enough ZDDP for TRs. The phosphorus poisons cats. Peter

I've been trying to find the full spec of Eurocarparts TRIPLE QX Premium 20w50 Engine Oil to check the ZDDP content but can't find it.[/size]

Anyone have any experience or thoughts about using this oil in a TR4? They do some good deals online for local collection, which means it's worth checking out - some forums suggest it is made by Shell.[/size]

Cheers[/size]

Rich[/size]

Why not just go for Millers 20/50 Classic? Contains adequate ZDDP, used by many of our cars, easily available @ competitive prices (Classic Oils of Aylesbury or Opie Oils). Cannot understand why the need to experiment with unknown oil/specification when the right stuff is out there.

Cheers.

Paul if you are using a straight 50 SAE oil when Triumph suggested a 30 SAE at temperatures between 40F and 70F and a 40 SAE above 70F in the 1950's, does that mean you will not take the car out at say 55F to 60F.

At any reasonable UK temperature and the last time I drove through your area in June 2014 it was not tropical, was that an exceptionally cold June! Your car will find that a multigrade will assist startup lubrication feed at those temperatures or do you prefer a hair shirt approach for yourself and your car.

Hi Eddie, no hair shirt for me I'm afraid. I may have got the SAE 50 wrong - I will have to look at the can to see what grade I'm actually using but the point I was making is that with most of us only using their cars during what passes for an English summer you don't really need the 20W component in your oil. The everyday euro box does though. - although if you go back in time to the early 1950's it was recommended by the factory that you change the oil in your car from summer oil to an oil more suitable for cold weather. ( that's also because we had proper winters back then!)

hoges.

Comma produce a technical data sheet for the content of all their oils. Their Classic 20w/50 has reasonable ZDDP.

Classic Oils has a great website that shows ZDDP level and assorted tech specs for all the oils offered. I've started using Heritage 20/50 lately and oil pressure has stayed as strong as with my previous favourite Valvoline VR1. But half the price!

http://www.classic-oils.net/Classic-Oils-Heritage-20W50

Castrol, Halfuds, comma, all the same oils,

all have same prob, they brek doon too easily i found oot,

reverts farr farrr too easily to the base 20W oil

with a resultin drop in oil pressure

Penrite R 2/6, 2,200 PPM ZDDP,

M