Tony

What you say is true but at the expense of less MPG.

I am 77 years old so a little more H.P: is not what I need, economy is more important to a pensioner.

On a long run, say to France or Switzerland, I get about 38MPG at speeds around 70 MPH, which is the legal limit anyway, until you get into France where it is 130kph. However total cost is increased by the Toll charges, which end up more than the fuel cost, or damn nigh near it.

A Thought!

When Brexit comes in, why doesn´t the govt. introduce a flat charge at the ports for foreign registered vehicles ( cars and particularly lorries) to compensate the state for the free use of U.K. motorways they enjoy, say £50 a week for cars and £100 a week for lorries.

That will put the cat among the pidgeons!

Dave

You only get the ram effect at speed.

That is what I am missing then is it? . So, when you are pottering along in town you are running too rich which is why David says it is to the detriment of his economy. Is forced air induction therefore a luxury confined to the realms of modern cars with computer controlled mixture, out and out racers, and of course super chargers where the amount of forced induction is controlled mechanically? Or, is it accounted for by reduced air intake occurring at smaller throttle openings? No, that can't be right either, cruising at 70mph on the flat also utilises a small throttle opening. Some practical experiments with one of those exhaust analysers Peter Cobbald mentioned in another thread would be in order.

Cheers, Tony

• 1 year later...

So, do we think these Mini ones would keep the heat off the float chambers?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MINI-HS6-1-3-4-TWIN-CARBURETTOR-HEATSHIELD/382250288208?hash=item58ffe48450:g:p0MAAOSw-nFZ4IjC

Peter W

I have those on my A35s 1 1/4s. I have no issues, but then again these days there is a lot less heat and a lot more air under my (her) bonnet/hood ????