MOT Failure Steering rack TR4

HI All, just taken the car for it annual MOT check and its failed on the NS track control arm on the steering rack :( moving back and forth inside the tube which it is, also the horn and n/s/f sidelight, but both of which work?? <_<

So the real question is the rack, is it worth sourcing the bush that guides the rod insider the rack tube or just to replace the whole thing with a rebuilt/new unit for piece of mind and simplicity, but not cost obviously.

#76 in this image

http://www.moss-europe.co.uk/shop-by-model/triumph/tr2-4a/steering-suspension/steering/steering-rack-column-wheel-tr4-4a.html

The rack does not look that old and I'm sure the previous owners said he'd replaced it along with converting to solid rack mountings just before I purchased the car 2 years ago (less than 4000 miles with me).

So I'm not sure if the quality of new units is up to scratch or if I'm just unlucky.

Any suggestions?

Mark

Depends on if the rack is one of the new type as they dont have that type of bush (In fact no user servicable parts inside.)

Stuart.

Bugger, thought that might be the case. Cheers Stuart.

so looking at the usual suspects there seems to be a wide price range for new rhd late tr4 racks.

Are there any reccomendations for the best place to buy new?

Mark

It wouldn't be as simple as the little nylon plug under the nearside steering rack clamp missing would it?

Or an MoT tester not used to the tolerance of older cars?

Jerry

Hi Mark, worth checking the rack you have, a couple of "so called" re-conditioned racks I came across some years ago had very small (1/2" long) rack bushes which wore out very quickly, the bush 76 that you refer to is around 2" long and a bit tricky to fit (drift into position with the rack in place, the screw thread at the end of the rack tends to ream the new bush slightly if you slide it through after fitting the bush in the tube).

Art of Coarse TR Maintenance Manual suggests putting one of the solid rack mounts around the bush end of the tube and "adjusting" the bush to eliminate the play, leave the mount in place and re-adjust 30,000 miles later!! .... this really works

Cheers Rob

Hi all, well now I had a chance to get underneith and look myself, not the rack at all!

It was the steering arm on the back of the vertical link, the two bolts were very slightly loose 1/4 turn. All tight now. Booked in for retest Monday.

just as well I checked myself before purchssing parts based on testers comments.

Mark