Racestorations seats

Hi As per the title really does anybody have the Racestorations seats fitted in their car that could let me have any feedback on them. I tried a quick 'sit in' at Lincoln and both the LHC and myself agreed that they were VERY comfortable. When BUO is finally rebuilt the plan is for some (reasonably) long distance touring …Scottish Islands and Ireland on the agenda at the moment, so back to the original point of the post. Clearly a quick sit in is not doing 100's/1000's of miles in them so has anybody any experience of them on long journeys. Both the good lady and myself have chronically bad backs so need something with good support.

I have tried the MX5 'tombstones and the Mk2 separate head restraint seats and these are both good just felt the Racestoration ones where even better. Although possibly it may be the fact that since they are 4x the price of the MX5 seats we just fooled ourselves into believing they were better !!

ATB Graham

post-7429-0-91419500-1470298032_thumb.jpg

Hi Graham,

I am a firm believer in all things Racetorations or TR Enterprises. All the bits I have come across from these guys appear to be quality although the prices are sometimes high. I am sure you generally get what you pay for from them & in life.

I have Ridgards in one car & Cobra Classics in the other. Both are comfortable for me but I am generally not doing more than say 100 miles in one 'sitting'! It is always going to be difficult to see what is good from a quick sit in @ a show or similar & 'borrowing' somebody's car is going to be awkward!

I think we have to accept it is a bit of a limited market with our cars & we are perhaps not going to get the kind of comfort of our modern vehicles. I think you should go for the best you can afford & hope they turn out acceptable, I am sure they will. My experience with Ridgard is slow response & delivery but Cobra was quick from Merlin Motorsport. (Incidentally, I believe the Cobra Classic is the same item as the Revington seat but much cheaper). I would think the Racetorations seats will be a quicker delivery but the most expensive of all 3.

Good luck.

I regularly do very long distances with my 4a (No choice when you live on the edge of the world!) and I have done over 450 miles with only a quick fuel stop with MX seats with separate head rests no problem and Im 6.4" with a bad back so I would say save your money and buy a pair of them.

Stuart.

Drove up from Santander through France and then Home last year, one 6 hour stint and Jeanette and I were really comfortable in our MK 2 MX5 separate head rest leather covered seats.

Edited by Kevo_6

Guys am 6ft and 110kgs and I drive 100 miles and back to Brum to visit y Dad regularly.

I have TR5 seats retrimmed by me. So no rake adjust.

And they are very comfortable....

Is this juts a matter of retrimming the originals?

Snowy

The Racetoration ones probably felt better because of the extra Bum Side Support and they are a tighter/snuger Fit but take note that there is no adjustment to Recline and you may need this,MX5 Seats fitted correctly is my preferred Seat.

Some time ago I was fortunate to acquire a pair of early US TR6 seats with the high folding headrests (anti-whiplash). They look the part in the 4A and have the advantage of fitting straight onto the existing runners. Extra foam for additional lumbar support can be built in. I have done two Club Triumph Round Britain Reliabillity Runs since fitting these seats and those involved driving 2,000 miles in 48 hours. I am 6' 3" and had no back ache. I do take the precaution however of always driving with a wide weightlifter's belt for lower back support.

Tim

post-9073-0-18829300-1470310861_thumb.jpg

(Incidentally, I believe the Cobra Classic is the same item as the Revington seat but much cheaper).

The Revington seats used to be supplied by Corbeau but are now based on a Revington designed frame which is much stronger and modified to better fit the narrow TR cockpit.

I have the Corbeau Classic seats in my 3a as the upmarket offerings fell outside my budget and although I find them very comfortable they needed a bit of a stretch with a screw jack to accommodate even my narrow hips. Big Fellas will not fit.

I weigh in between 90 and 93 kilo (depending on the time of the month !!!) and I fit in a Ridgard fine (and they seem to be more padded, i.e., less space, than Racy ones.)

My darling wife is classically pear shaped and she fits in too.

I am not sure that Kim Kardashian or Nikki Minaj would want to ride with me though

The Revington seats used to be supplied by Corbeau but are now based on a Revington designed frame which is much stronger and modified to better fit the narrow TR cockpit.

I have the Corbeau Classic seats in my 3a as the upmarket offerings fell outside my budget and although I find them very comfortable they needed a bit of a stretch with a screw jack to accommodate even my narrow hips. Big Fellas will not fit.

+1 on narrow Corbeau/Revington seats

Laterally, they are very supportive seats, but having longish legs, they lack a bit of support under the thighs (aggravates my sciatica on journeys of 2 hours or more!). Currently working on lifting the seats so that they go further back so my legs are straighter as I don't have a problem in the passenger seat. May also need firmer foam at the front part of the seat squab. Get the angle and longitudinal position correct and I reckon they'll be ok.

Phil

+1 for MX5 seats, Stuart beat my record of milage in a day - but not by much!

John.

+2 for MX5 seats highest mileage in one day 550 miles & 1100 over two days.

Cheers

Mike. B)

You could also try getting hold of some BMW seats (basically Recaro) They fit perfectly width wise and have the added bonus of anextending seat squab.

Hoges

I'd say, based on the above evidence, that if you ever want to be able to recline and/or change the rake of the seat back, MX5 seats are what you want.

Personally, I have Revington seats in my TR4 and my girlfriend and I drove 4,500 miles in 9 days with most days being best part of 10 hours in the seats. We were perfectly comfortable. (I then drove another 3,500 miles home in 7 days...). However, neither of us are tall, nor do we have bad backs (even after that drive!).

I don't think you can beat a good rally seat in a TR for seriously long drives, but the MX5 seat clearly has some BIG fans - and they look a lot more standard.

Had Ridguard seats in my TR5 for around eight years and was very happy with them. My wife had an accident which made it uncomfortable

to get in and out so I changed to Mazda seats with separate headrest's and after thousands of miles very happy.

Regards Harry

I have the racetoration seats fitted . I find them very comfortable & not too narrow . Altered existing runners to enable seats to be fitted as low as possible. They do supply brackets to fit onto existing runners but would not allow low enough fitment for me . Tried numerous Mx5 seats in 6's but all seemed too high for my liking . Each to their own I guess . Get them positioned right & you won't be disappointed but being a fixed bucket seat you might need to play with the brackets to get position right.

Chris

Non adjustable for rake, cant be really set to yer likes can it.

try thee,s,good support,look ok too

Gen 7 type car seats

M

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Toyota-Celica-coupe-front-seats-pair-LANDROVER-BUCKET-BMW-/272328298624?hash=item3f68081080:g:oB4AAOSwc1FXb8Pi

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Toyota-Celica-Leather-Seats-/262547909803?hash=item3d21132cab:g:4oUAAOSwv9FXg4N~

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/TOYOTA-CELICA-SEATS-FULL-KIT-FRONT-AND-BACK-/122048186399?hash=item1c6aa3881f:g:BagAAOSwRJ9XgVSa

Any idea if these actually fit?

I am looking for some seats for my TR4 project. MX5 seats are like hens teeth and seem expensive. I have also seen these http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/302031656984?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT (which are close to me) which look really nice and I'm guessing quite narrow as the Lupo is a tiny thing.

Anyone have any idea. Even a quick idea of size from your existing TR4(a) set up would be really helpful. The original seats out f my car are a complete basket case and not even sure if they're Triumph at all!

Thanks. John.

A further minor issue to note about bucket seats, is that where as in a 3 (or 4ish) if you need to get access to the rear of the dash or tunnel etc, removing the seat base gives you a lot of space.

Bolted down bucket seats makes access very difficult !

OK, it may only be two bolts on the front tilt in many cases, but it adds meaningful time to an otherwise simpler job, particularly if you drop al the washers that you used to centre the seat and have to do it all again.

I also have the Ridguards and I have to say I find them more comfortable than any other car seat I've ever sat in. Mrs TR5tar thinks the same.

Darren

Edited by TR5tar

I have Racetoratins seats fitted and find them very comforatable - as do my co drivers on the odd regularity rally and, more importantly, the 2000 mile Round Britain Reliabilty Run. I had to have the backs specially narrow to fit the Racetorations roll over bar (something i was not told when the bar was bought!). I do suffer from a bad back and sciatica so I am not good at putting up with poor seats. The only thnig i would say is that i got leather seats and they are already wearing on the piping etc pretty badly. i would go with vinyl as i assume its tougher.

Bob