Hello

I am just installing a lightweight edge alternator on my TR4 which came from TR Enterprises. It comes with a spindle to connect to the existing dynamo bracket. When installed it looks like the alternator pulley is slightly forward of the water pump and crank but this may be an optical illusion. Has anyone else had this with these alternators and spindles?

Thanks

Myles

High Miles

I fitted a moss narrow belt set up and a Kubota alternator. I took the crank pulley as the master, as it cannot be easily moved, and aligned the alternator pulley with that using a steel straight edge across the crank pulley. I did the same for the water pump pulley and needed to have the inside of the pulley skimmed by about 0.040 inch. Different set up, but is it possible to reduce the alternator pulley width by the required amount. What do TR enterprises advise?

Regards

Rog

Miles,

I fitted a similar kit a while ago, and adjusted the alignment by variuos thickness washers at the pivot point and on the sliding clamp.

If it needs moving back, a small amount off the end of the large spacer at the pivot point should do the trick.

As above, use a good straight edge to make sure all your pulleys are aligned.

Mike

There is an article in a TRaction of a couple of years ago about fitting an alternator written by Ian Cornish and myself. A pocketful of washers are your best friend to square things up. Make sure you get it right or you'll be shredding bits of fan belt over your engine compartment.

James

I run the Kubota / Nippon Denso alternator with a wide belt.

I had to make up a shorter mounting pedestal for the front engine plate to get the alternator in the right place and open up/turn out the recess in the standard dynamo pulley to accept the flanged retaing nut. The adjuster link is the orig with a new 'set;' (bend to fit)

The whole thing runs a standard wide belt.

Peter W

Thanks for the help with this. Looks like I am not alone with the misalignment issue. My previous set-up had a GE alternator with home made fixings using a long bolt, copper pipe and washers. I hoped that by going for the proper kit it would just bolt straight in in the right place. So looks like it's off to the machine shop to shave ~2mm off the large spacer.

Myles

i have the same alternator and that required a spacer shave.