Hi there

Bit of a mix of topics here!

I'm about to change the silencer on my TR5. The current box has a hole blown in it. Fortunately I was given a new spare mild steel box when I bought the car so am fitting that while I decide whether to undertake a body off repaint and other work, maybe a stainless exhaust. For the current situation can anyone guide me as to the best (original?) clamping method where the mild steel tail pipes joins the middle section of the system eg standard U clamp, single clamp etc and where to buy (if unusual item)?

Also looking to replace the radio and want to stick with a period or period looking set (Radiomobile, Motorola etc), but want FM ideally - does anyone have any experience of the old sets that have been converted to receive FM etc etc? I'm not interested in cassette players.

Thanks

David

An ebay search for "vintage car radio" throws up lots of possibilities, it's how I came by my Pye with FM. Here's an example:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vintage-Grundig-Emden-Car-Radio-for-1978-1985-VW-mk1-Golf-Polo-Passat-Jetta-Audi-/262524908957?hash=item3d1fb4359d:g:M8kAAOSwX~dWhk2y

Regarding the radio, you can get a switch put in the tuner to accept an aux line in (mine's all the way to the left) then just plug your phone or ipod into that. Think cost me £20

Thanks for the idea - have to say I hadnt thought of that so will give it some consideration. Guess you're dependent on 4G reception, which is probably more patchy than FM. Tend to be more of a radio listener in the car so not really interested in MP3 players etc.

An ebay search for "vintage car radio" throws up lots of possibilities, it's how I came by my Pye with FM. Here's an example:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vintage-Grundig-Emden-Car-Radio-for-1978-1985-VW-mk1-Golf-Polo-Passat-Jetta-Audi-/262524908957?hash=item3d1fb4359d:g:M8kAAOSwX~dWhk2y

Thanks Pete, Im coming round to the view that a used FM conversion (likley from Ebay) may offer me the best value solution closest to my requirements - thanks.

David

Hi David,

Can't offer any guidance on the exhaust issue, but when it comes to radios you might be interested in this . . . http://www.chromelondon.com/

Not inexpensive, as you'll see, but some nice period pieces.

Darren

Darren

I guess this is the easiest way to get what I want - just trying to keep the cost down. They look good appropriate and I may come back to them if nothing shows on Ebay - thanks for the suggestion.

David

Exhaust system hangers for TR5/6

here is one I wrote earlier....and Pete Taylor illustrated

http://www.moss-europe.co.uk/shop-by-model/triumph/tr5-6/exhaust/exhaust-systems/standard-exhaust-systems.html

Cheers

Peter W

Exhaust system hangers for TR5/6

here is one I wrote earlier....and Pete Taylor illustrated

http://www.moss-europe.co.uk/shop-by-model/triumph/tr5-6/exhaust/exhaust-systems/standard-exhaust-systems.html

Cheers

Peter W

Peter,

Thanks - that's the best breakdown I have seen, however it raises a new question. My car is a TR5 PI (CP.....) which according to the diagram should be the top system - tell me if I am wrong please. However there are no hangars or fixing points on my exhaust/body in the intermediate/front pipe area (contra to the top diagram), indicating my system is as per the middle diagram (CR & CF models only!). Looking at the top and middle diagrams, I cant see why one system needs support in the intermediate/front pipe area and the other doesnt. Any thoughts?

Thanks

David

The top system is all TR5 and CP TR6 the intermediate bracket fits on the rear gearbox mounting for "A" type overdrive, this bracket may well be missing from your car. The next one down is for a CR series 6 with a "J" type overdrive hence the different bracket. The lower system is TR250 and has the same "A" type intermediate mount off the gear box as per TR5 early 6.

Stuart.

The top system is all TR5 and CP TR6 the intermediate bracket fits on the rear gearbox mounting for "A" type overdrive, this bracket may well be missing from your car. The next one down is for a CR series 6 with a "J" type overdrive hence the different bracket. The lower system is TR250 and has the same "A" type intermediate mount off the gear box as per TR5 early 6.

Stuart.

Stuart

Thanks for explaining. Just a further clarification if you dont mind please....In the Moss top diagram it shows that the intermediate/front pipes are sold as separates, however they appear to be fixed by a welded flange behind the hangar. Would you expect them to be joined or separate (the part nos imply separate which is inconsistent with the diagram)? If separate, would you expect the second pipe to have a hangar (it is not shown).

Regarding the middle diagram (TR6), both pipes are shown separate, identical items, but with no welded hangars,

The reason I am trying to clarify is that I have been offered a stainless system, previously fitted to a TR6 for my TR5 and I am trying to understand if the differences are significant.

Many thanks

David

The pipes are separate its just those brackets are shown as overlapping which is how they fit together onto the bracket. There is one on each pipe.

The second set are mounted differently with the bracket shown through between the pipes.

If you have been offered a 6 exhaust then it does fit a 5, if it doesnt have those two brackets they are easy to get fitted.

Stuart.

Stuart, thanks - I understand the assembly now. Unfortunately on mine, a previous owner has used a rubber strap to attache the gear box hangar to what is left of the original flange attached to the gear box. This flange appears to have fatigued and broken on the 90deg bend. I have no problem trying to fit a new exhaust mounting flange to the rear gear box mount but to do this it would appear I have to drop the gearbox mount and raise the gearbox to access the nut which is holding the remnants of the broken flange if I am fitting the new one at the same point. Is this correct? I cant see another way of accessing the fixing point above the gearbox mount. Hope this description makes sense!

Thanks

David

The only real way to replace the bracket is to take the gear box cover off then remove the right hand bolt from the gear box rear mount, the new bracket has a captive nut welded to it that takes this bolt.

Stuart.

The only real way to replace the bracket is to take the gear box cover off then remove the right hand bolt from the gear box rear mount, the new bracket has a captive nut welded to it that takes this bolt.

Stuart.

Stuart,

Understood - will do the job in line with your suggestion. I was trying to avoid the tunnel removal route, but happy to follow guidance from those in the know! Will let you know how I get on - next week probably.

Regards

David

• 4 weeks later...

Stuart,

Understood - will do the job in line with your suggestion. I was trying to avoid the tunnel removal route, but happy to follow guidance from those in the know! Will let you know how I get on - next week probably.

Regard

David

Stuart

I said Id get back to you when the job was complete - slightly delayed starting but completed the job this morning. The replacement of the bracket was straightforward and the fitting of the new stainless system from the TR Shop went very well. Thanks for your pointers early on - it could have been a more painful experience.

All the best

David