Had the pleasure of seeing and chatting to the owner of a one owner TR5 at Lincoln

I t was very original and Mike the owner stated it had never let him down?

Noticed the Air cleaner was painted Silver, I thought they were Black

Also interesting to hear that he does have problems with the Ro-style trims flying off though!

post-13336-0-04264700-1469110064_thumb.jpg

post-13336-0-58720900-1469110077_thumb.jpg

Hi Gary,

I met his brother when I was manning the gate early Friday morning - he had a very nice blue TR3 for sale, £20,000.

He said about his brother and that he was not going to turn up. Apparently a very private man.

However he did turn up and he was a treat to speak to and the car was rather excellent.

I would have thought the design team at TRiumph would be astounded to see one of their cars in such a condition 48 years later.

Roger

Hi chaps, I wish I had seen it, quite a rare sight and it would have been good to chat too.

So what's with the big M !

I have seen the air cleaner in silver Hammerite before, apparently they were like that.

Cheers,

Conrad.

Hi chaps, I wish I had seen it, quite a rare sight and it would have been good to chat too.

So what's with the big M !

I have seen the air cleaner in silver Hammerite before, apparently they were like that.

Cheers,

Conrad.

Likewise Conrad, I'd have liked to have seen that car. Hopefully he'll be back next year.

Darren

The owner was Called Mike, might explain the M?

Or maybe a tribute to Giovanni Michelotti, the TR4, 4a & 5 Stylist.

Also notice the Tray to catch the Oil leaking under the Engine?

I could do with one for my Diff! :P

Very nice person he is, we talked for around 20 minutes, as I have my 6 for over 43 years it's always interesting to speek to long time owners and their adventures.

My friend Dirk was in Lincoln in his TR6, purchased in 1973 new, in so far 1st owner he drives it all around Europe...from Italy to Norway... :)

Early 5 air filter is silver but very late 5 filter is black.

Stuart.

That makes sense, new I'd seen both colours in one of my Books on the 5?

Yes, that's Mike Malone and he's owned his 1968 Confier Green TR5 from new with less than 33,000kms on the clock. As for the bonnet badge, it was stolen some years back and Mike wouldn't buy another one as it wouldn't be the original one fitted to his car despite, at the time, replacements were Stanpart! Hence the 'M'. He took the Rostyle trims off soon after purchase as he didn't want to lose them or have them stolen; he put them on especially for the Survivors Display (on request); the first time they've been fitted for probably over 40 years - they usually hang in his garage.

Mike picked up the Triumph Survivor Cup, and he and his brother Paddy are a very nice couple of chaps but Mike is an extremely private person. It is very unlikely his TR5 will be at Malvern.

28308740891_367a5a57fd_k_1200x799.jpg

13707641_10207247166832671_2554434542710

Mike is currently fixing the original washer bottle motor, but it wasn't working in time for the Survivors Display:

13775534_10207247169512738_2857839483565

Cheers

Andrew

Hi Ian,

it may never be shown again by MIke as, apparently, it was struggle to get him to Lincoln and that is just around the corner from him.

He is quite a private chap.

Maybe in years to come a new owner will keep it as is and show it off.

Roger

I chatted to Mike and Paddy not so much about the TR5 but the Fireball windscreen sticker. Not Fireball XL5 and captain Steve Zodiac but Fireball racing dinghies which Mike and myself used to sail in the 70's. Mike in Switzerland me at Welton Waters. That sticker was amazing !!!!!!!!!

Alan.