Smoking turn switch

Hi,

Looks that I have an electric fault on my 1974 TR6: The signal/turn switch in steering column starts smoking when I'm starting the engine. The smoke is coming from the switch itself rather than from wiring. When this occurs the signal relay goes on although the switch is not on in any turn position. Is this a common problem? I believe the switch itself is worn out and needs to be replaced.

Cheers,

Tommi

Hi,

Looks that I have an electric fault on my 1974 TR6: The signal/turn switch in steering column starts smoking when I'm starting the engine. The smoke is coming from the switch itself rather than from wiring. When this occurs the signal relay goes on although the switch is not on in any turn position. Is this a common problem? I believe the switch itself is worn out and needs to be replaced.

Cheers,

Tommi

Tommi, You can take the switch apart, the contacts are simple copper strips. One might have come loose and you may be able to epoxy glue it back. A replacement would be a good idea. It was never a good design in my view. Peter

I had exactly the same issue a few weeks back... I took the switch out, thoroughly cleaned it with electrical cleaner, connected it up again... and it was worse with genuine period Lucas smoke and sparks!!! So purchased a replacement!

All appears good now though subsequently had issues with the electronic flasher unit that kept blowing the fuse. Well, I believe that is the cause and haven't been able to thoroughly verify as had to return to work away from home...

Cheers

Ian

Edited by ianhoward

Me too exactly the same issue and solution mentioned by Peter... and easy to do

Regards

Hi,

I tried with a cleaner already, no success --> looks like the unit needs to be taken apart. Must say the unit looks quite solid and bit surprised in case the unit can be taken apart. Will try that as next step. Thanks for the advices!

-tommi