Ignition Swtch Failure

The reason for this post is to warn others of something that may have been overlooked.

En route to Classic Le Mans my CR failed to start after a coffee break. Turn key no ignition starter turned fine but no ignition.

I connected a lead from a fused +ve I am using for my headlight relay to the fuseboard and got going, had to manualy break the circuit to stop the car but it got me there and home.

I removed the ignition switch from the back of the steering lock fiddly but easy doable. On testing it I found it to be iffy on most connections. I ordered a repalcement which is now fitted and I am a happy bunny.

I enclose a photo of the contacts on the failed unit. My car has been ultra reliable for 5 years and I have just rewired it but I never even though of replacing the ignition switch. I think mine had been in the car since it came off the production line in 74, it is well and trully knackered.

What's yours like?

post-9607-0-64476800-1469030002_thumb.jpg

Rimmers supplied my ignition switch.

Excellent service and the correct part.

Appologies I thought it was not PC to name names :(

My ignition switch failed abruptly a couple of years ago - car just died while driving. I rolled to the verge, and there was not a peep when I tried to restart. The fact that the lights still worked threw me, until I remembered later that the '72 lights were on an unswitched circuit. I pulled the ignition switch, tested continuity at various key positions, and found that, while not completely dead, contact was intermittent (i.e., insufficiently reliable). Rather than replace with a repro of unknown provenance, I bought a modern switch and installed it in the dash, where the useless rheostat normally resided. I was tired of fumbling between my knees to start the car anyway - a dash-mounted ignition switch made more sense and, at ~$40, was significantly cheaper than a repro.

post-14130-0-48526800-1469407011_thumb.jpg

My ignition wiring has been altered so the ignition switch only opperates a 100 Amp relay.

I have installed a remote fuse board under the passanger footwell, which has also enabled an upgraded power supply to cope with all the additional items fitted to our cars now.

Cheers

Mark