Anyone remember the Kenlow hotstart?

Well, does anyone? I had one fitted to my MkII spitfire. I took it off when I sold the car, fitted it to a series one landrover, took it off when I rebuilt that and didn't put it back, and now am thinking about fitting it to the TR3. The problem is, if you don't leave it switched on all the time (and I don't know what that would do to the electricity bill) you have to plan in advance when you are taking the car out so you can turn it on or you don't get the benefit. If you have one fitted to your TR where did you put it?

Tony

Not sure it is exactly the same device, but I took one off from a canadian TR6 (is that so cold in NZ ?) : the wire plug and some cable was hidden behind the front grille (the heater itself was in the front, right corner of the engine compartment), easy to reach without openning the bonnet.

Edited by Chris59

A lot of rescue vehicles used them. We had two fire engine landrovers at a factory that I worked in.....they were plugged all of the time to ensure no warming up period.

. The problem is, if you don't leave it switched on all the time (and I don't know what that would do to the electricity bill) you have to plan in advance when you are taking the car out so you can turn it on or you don't get the benefit.

Check out some of the home-automation mains plug options - that way you can leave it plugged in but remotely turn the power to the hot-start only when you need to from a mobile app - ok, you'll need to do it 20mins before your journey, but that's not too much of a hardship.

....... Andy

Not sure it is exactly the same device, but I took one off from a canadian TR6 (is that so cold in NZ ?) : the wire plug and some cable was hidden behind the front grille (the heater itself was in the front, right corner of the engine compartment), easy to reach without openning the bonnet.

It is normal for cars in the colder parts of the USA and Canada to have block heaters. Parking spots have power outlets so you can plug them in. When the temps go to -20 F or colder you cant even get the engine to turn over without the block heater.

Stan

I had a Kenlowe Hotstart fitted to my Multipla MPV.

With it's diesel engine unless you had a 15 mile journey the engine never got warm enough to defrost the windscreen properly. I had it plugged in to the house and on a simple mechanical timer which switched it on at 7:30am ready for a 8:30am leaving the house. It's electronics would also power the ignition circuit when the coolant temperature got to 70 deg in the block and use the car heater blower to demist or de ice the windscreen. This was back in 2003.

Mick Richards

It is normal for cars in the colder parts of the USA and Canada to have block heaters. Parking spots have power outlets so you can plug them in. When the temps go to -20 F or colder you cant even get the engine to turn over without the block heater.

Stan

Thanks for this Stan, but who, and how is, payed for electricity taken from these power outlets ?

Edited by Chris59

Here is a block heater installed on a 68 TR250 block....check the video around the 2.22 mark...

https://youtu.be/LdHxNPzmOrc

Cheers

Tush

Tush, you live up there near the North Pole.. who pays for the power outlets at parking spots where people plug in their block heaters ?. I assume on the parking meters it is built into the fee for the meter but what about residential areas like an apartment building. Is that just part of the residence fees like cutting the grass and plowing snow ?.

Stan

No, it's not that cold where I am, but it makes me feel warm (and fuzzy) inside as well if I don't have to use the choke.

Tony

Tush, you live up there near the North Pole.. who pays for the power outlets at parking spots where people plug in their block heaters ?. I assume on the parking meters it is built into the fee for the meter but what about residential areas like an apartment building. Is that just part of the residence fees like cutting the grass and plowing snow ?.

Stan

Hi Stan,

Good question. And I have no answer. I do remember growing up, Dad plugging the car in while at home overnight. I also remember having to put in gas line antifreeze...

I'm sure Canadians who live farther north than or me, even out West like Calgary/Edmonton, still use their block heaters. I think though with more modern vehicles/fuel injection, you see it less and less.

Cheers

Tush

My TR3 would crank but just would not fire when the temperature was below -20 Fahrenheit, so I got a dipstick heater. Never got warm and cozy but it did allow the car to start. I think it drew about 100 watts. Some of the coolant heaters draw 2000. Tom