Harmonic damper and thin belt conversion kit

Hi Tony

I also live in NZ (Whangarei). I changed my 1957 TR3 to narrow belt and left the 6 blade tropical fan and extention in place. I purchased mine from the TR Shop. No problems to date.Good to deal with and helpful. I see they have in their specials damped and undamped for 125 to 140 pounds. The exchange rate isn't too bad at the moment ( due to Brexit) and you won't need to pay GST (VAT in the UK) if under $400 NZ. Cost of freight is the only down side.

Brian

Yes Peter, I could turn one up myself if push comes to shove. I think I'd have to find an off cut at my local second hand machinery / metal recyclers. The last time I bought a peice of aluminium alloy new it cost me an arm and a leg, I couldn't believe how expensive it was, and the pulley is around 6 inches OD?

Thanks Brian, I'll have a look. You are right, freight is always the killer. Rebuilding an English car here is terrifyingly expensive isn't it.

Cheers everyone. Tony

• 7 months later...

Hello Gents

I am in the middle of a thin belt and alternator conversion and after pulling off the crankshaft pulley and comparing it with the new narrow belt pulley, I noticed a quite significant difference:

The base of new pulley is quite a bit shorter than the original. So when I fit the pulley and fasten the big Centre bolt, I am not sure what the pulley will be pushed against. Will it be pushed against the timing belt cover, or will it just be "floating" on the crankshaft? (Cannot believe that is how it's supposed to be). Of course new pulley will be fitted with the aluminum bush to fit the seal in the timing belt cover (also in the picture), and the bush is longer, but it seems way to weak to take the force of fastening the Certer bolt.

Anybody hve any experience or thoughts?

Many thanks and best regards from Switzerland

Ewald (sooty about the poor picture, not iPad compatible... hope you will get my drift)

post-14195-0-85194400-1490309441_thumb.jpg

Edited by Ewald

Yes, but once you have fitted the adaptor sleeve to the pulley it should come out the same length, & will tighten onto the crank.

I have the same (MGB) pulley, & it fits with no problem.

I know the damping is not really required, but it won't do any harm, & this setup is relatively cheap.

Bob.

Edited by Lebro

Cheaper still

Narrow belt pulley non damped

http://www.moss-europe.co.uk/pulley-crankshaft-machined-billet-narrow-belt-107252a.html?assoc=116291

Peter W

PS This is the one I am considering over the MGB pulley so I can sell my NOS MGB one to an 'enthusiast' to fund it.

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry everyone, I seem to have missed the 2017 comments, thought the thread had come to an end last year. I finally finished putting my TR back together end of feb this year. Second time out in it since getting back on the road and the heater radiator split and sprayed quite hot water all over my left leg, all up the back of the dash, the instruments, switchs, the passenger seat and the carpets. Dumped over three litres of water in what seemed like three seconds as I was blasting pass some modern tinware going up a hill on the motorway. Had to pull over onto the hard shoulder and watch them go by, smirking no doubt. I had to get the tow truck home. I offer my thanks once again to the "professional" restorer who fitted the nicely painted peice of crap to my car presumably without having had it pressure tested, thanks for the free scalding on my leg (or was that built into the price?). Off the road again. Any ideas on the best thing to do with the back of my dash board and the associated electrics to wash off the horrible sticky antifreeze. I even had to get the wife to put my trousers in the wash. Every time I put them on subsequently they stuck to my leg.

Anyway, I wanted to start another thread detailing what I did concerning the crank pulley, belt and fan but have yet to work out how to upload photos from my iPad. Any tips?

Cheers, tony

Trying to upload photos. Didn't mean to add two of the same, not sure how it happened. Can anyone see it? Is the file too large?

It must be too large a file, the thumbnail won't down load. Back to the drawing board.

Tony

Edited by TonyB