Mounting fire extinguisher in TR

I've carried an H3R Performance 1.4 lb Halguard extinguisher (made by Amerex) in my TR for three years now, wedged in various places as I noodled through various permanent mounting options.

The following photos show the installation of an H3R Performance Universal Fire Extinguisher Seat Mount to position the extinguisher at the passenger side footwell. I'm quite happy with this so far. it's immediately accessible where it's most likely to be needed. There's rarely a passenger in my car, so the space loss isn't a consideration. Note that the link shown is one of many vendors offering the mount.

i-RTPPkzj-X3.jpg

i-sM2PQFx-X3.jpg

i-QwvX5mG-X3.jpg

i-2KL5Jnj-X3.jpg

i-f5Lgstf-X3.jpg

i-pbSMQKR-X3.jpg

PS: There are several other threads talking about the ozone depleting potential and global warming potential of these Halotron extinguishers. Good questions, but before we jump on the extinguishing media allowed in the US, note that Halotron I is not the Halon (as in Halon 1211) of such bad repute.

Here's some additional information.

http://amerex-fire.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/08/Ampac-Halotron_CompFE36_Rev3_Jul2014.pdf

Very nice Don. I was thinking of doing something similar but putting it behind the driver seat since SWMBO is already complaining about the intrusion of the handbrake.

I just bought another one of these extinguishers for the TR3, this is the warning label on the box:

IMAG0356_zpsnjnz1e7d.jpg

Yes, HCFC-123 has extremely low but non-zero ODP and low GWP. That label seems a bit strong for a material with an ODP of 0.0098 (compared to a reference of CFC-11=1.0).

I'm 6' 6" -- there's no room for anything behind my driver's seat!

Edited by Don H.

Good place to fit and even with someone in the seat their feet will be a lot further forward only thing I would say is fit it the other way round so when you grab it you have the business end first also it saves anyone catching the actuating arm when getting in and out.

Stuart.

Hi Don.

very similar to mine though I fitted staright to the floor,

Never catch it on entering and leaving and should you ever need it, it is

to hand as you are exiting the car.

John.

fire%20extinguisher.jpg

Edited by john

Hi Don.

very similar to mine though I fitted staright to the floor,

Never catch it on entering and leaving and should you ever need it, it is

to hand as you are exiting the car.

John.

fire%20extinguisher.jpg

Dont forget John that Don is sitting on the wrong side :ph34r:

Stuart.

Mine is mounted in a simple cradle, which is bolted to the floor immediately in front of the passenger seat. The cradle has a simple over-centre clip, holding the extinguisher in place. The extinguisher is similar in size to John's (Post #6).

Ian Cornish

Good place to fit and even with someone in the seat their feet will be a lot further forward only thing I would say is fit it the other way round so when you grab it you have the business end first also it saves anyone catching the actuating arm when getting in and out.

Stuart.

Yeah, that's a good point, Stuart. I thought about it at the time, and continue to. The pre-drilled holes in the mounting plate mean the number of options isn't infinite (short of drilling more holes, of course) and I chose the orientation that kept the extinguisher farther away from the handbrake lever. I may try reversing it to see if it's less interfering than I thought. Once the bracket is in place changing it left-to-right is a matter of two easily-accessed bolts.

In a perfect world, there should be a way to mount it to the seat itself instead of the front end of the runners. That way, when sliding the seat, the relative position of the the can and the seat stays the same. No matter the position of the seat.

Menno

@ Stuart: 'sitting on the wrong side' is open for debate! :D:D

Menno

In a perfect world, there should be a way to mount it to the seat itself instead of the front end of the runners. That way, when sliding the seat, the relative position of the the can and the seat stays the same. No matter the position of the seat...

Menno, you're exactly right -- H3R Performance make the same comment in the instructions for this seat bracket, in fact. On the sidescreen cars that's not so easy. (On my Toyota pickup, I'm seeing what might be possible, because I'd like to mount one there, too).

In a perfect world, there should be a way to mount it to the seat itself instead of the front end of the runners. That way, when sliding the seat, the relative position of the the can and the seat stays the same. No matter the position of the seat.

Menno

@ Stuart: 'sitting on the wrong side' is open for debate! :D:D

Menno

Even though there are more of us LHD cars than RHD it is obvious that the TR's were designed as RHD first and then adapted for LHD so we really are on the wrong side of the car.

Stan