Inner wheel arch question?

I have a quick question regarding the small "shelf" that is part of the inner front wheel arch assembly.(Mounted on that is another smaller one to which the brackets for the horns and horn relay are mounted). On my 4a the ones attached to the inner wing are the same and are about 10" long with curve indented in them. I noticed that on a friends 4a the drivers side is the same but on the passengers side, the curve is not in the pressing, it is straight front to back.

Was there any difference between 4 and 4a inner wings? I have have viewed many engine bay pictures on the Internet, and cannot work out why there should be any difference from one side to the other, unless in the past there was a replacement inner wing fitted.

So I ask if any knowledgeable members can enlighten me as to 1. what models had that difference, and 2. would any cars have one of each from new?

Many thanks for your help.

Andy C

Andy

From my experience some very late TR4's seem to have had what might be described as the '4A' front inner arch with the recesses. How late, I have no idea. There is a TR4 for sale at the moment in the US that is about 500 from last with 'recessed' arches fitted.

As for different ones on each side..... I would doubt it even for a cash strapped company like Standard Triumph. I would check for evidence of restoration / repair.

Happy to be proved wrong.

Steve

Hi again

Sorry I mis-read your original post, I thought you had a TR4 as opposed to a 4A.

I think you will find that your car has had a replacement inner arch if it is the style shown in the photograph of the red car.

I've seen late TR4s with the dished style but never a TR4A with the earlier straight edged style.

Tin hat fitted

Steve

The curve is correct for 4a, flat is TR4 though its possible very late 4`s may have the curve.

Stuart.

Thanks everyone,

So one flat and one curve is definitely not right, for a 4 or 4a. I now have to break the news to him that his TR that he has had since it was 18 months old has probably been bent in its very early life and no-one noticed until now. Perhaps I'll leave him in blissful ignorance. :rolleyes:

Many thanks for your comments and to sharing your extensive knowledge.

Andy

Hi Folks,

my early 4 (March 62) has straight sections and there is plenty of room between alternator and body.

My late 4A (July 67) has curved sections with enough but not a great deal of clearance between the body.

Roger

Andy,

All TR4's should have the straight "suspension box fillers"

These "suspension box fillers" were changed to the curved form for the first production of the TR4A to enable an alternator to be fitted when required.

This change was initiated on 10th September 1964 starting with surplus stock of the original type being modified to incorporate a curve.

All information sourced from the Standard Triumph Engineering Change Register.

Regards, Richard

Hi Richard,

that is interesting.

My early TR4 has an alternator. The wheel arch has the straight edge

There is more room on the TR4 abive than on my 4A with an alternator and curved edge.

Is there a dimension difference in the wheel arches.

Roger

Roger,

I think you would need to compare the size of the factory alternator

with the (modern, I assume) alternator you have fitted.

I suspect the factory one would have been larger than modern units.

Not to say bigger is better!

AlanR

Roger,

Even stranger is that in the 1966 and 1967 Lucas Parts Catalogues, which include the TR4A, both state that a C40-1 generator was used - not an alternator in sight.

None of the TR4A Sales Catalogues I have seen make reference to an alternator, plus none of the period Price Lists that I have seen show it as an optional extra.

So I do wonder if any TR4A's were actually built on the production line with an alternator....?

The first appearance of an alternator I can find is in the 1968 Lucas Parts Catalogue for the TR5 and TR250, stated as a model 15AC.

Regards, Richard