Not quite TR related..but given the TR and the Dolomite use the same types of Laycock J Type overdrives (few minor internal differences as far as I can tell) I thought Id chance my arm and ask here if anyone can help?

On the new toy (Dolomite Sprint), the OD works fine most of the time. Sometimes however it only seems to half engage, that is..something happens, but rather than being a direct drive, it seems sort of 'stuck' between overdrive and direct drive.

Furthermore, when you then disengage overdrive (via the switch on the gear knob) it ever so briefly drops into overdrive, then disengages.

Im also racking my brain, but it also may be related to the gearbox oil temp as Im sure that when its cold, it doesn't seem to have issues...

No other noises, clonks, clunks etc and have just checked the oil level and all 100% fine.

Reading the Buckeye guides, I've ordered a set of sump gaskets and O-rings to give it a mini overhaul..but has anyone else had a similar issue and what did it end up being in the end?

Of the 3 plugs that are present when the sump and filter are removed, which one is the 'easiest' to do?...both the pump and relief valve look a bit more involved and the valve seems to require the use of a churchill tool to get out all the parts without damaging anything.

Again..anyone had a go at this themselves and any tales of woe of things to look out for?

Im hoping it will be something like the solenoid valve and a few old o-rings that are past their best, but who knows?

Thanks if anyone can be of help..

Andrew

it could well be clogged up wid thick olde oil.

no going oot v fast is a sign of blocked passages, as its no letting pressure to drop.

when sumps off, tek the filters oot, and giv em a good clean.

also clean the solonoid, there just small holes in there, easily clogged.

the strip magnet will likely be covered ina grey sludge

oil never been changed much, could weel be 1/16th or moer thick,

this sludge also cloggs the filter

Pics will help show wots wot, when ye got it to bits

the plugs have 2 holes ine em, either mek a tool, or use a punch to tap the plugs aroond.

{ an angle grinder spanner can easily be modded }

when ye got the things put in, fill up wid a flushing oil, or a diesel oil

and run for a while, to clean it all oot, drain, frae the OD end too.

and re fill up with some good oil.

Im using 80 / 140 fully synth, great stuff , thin when cold, thicker when hot

M

Thanks guys for the replies.

I`ll dump the old oil, drop the sump, give it all a clean, fit all the new O-rings/gaskets etc and see how it goes.

I think its a positive that it does work nicely when cold without any noises etc. so it should be just a cleaning/replacing old parts type of exercise.

Thanks once again

Andrew

Andrew,

You said:

“… Furthermore, when you then disengage overdrive (via the switch on the gear knob) it ever so briefly drops into overdrive…”

I wonder if that means that when it engages, the solenoid is pushing the valve too far.

When the power to the solenoid is removed, the plunger goes back, and briefly goes through the “Correct” position, before it returns to the ”Off” position.

If it is that, then it’s just a simple adjustment of the solenoid push rod.

I think there is a hole in the control arm thingy that you push an old drill bit (of a certain diamater) through , into a hole in a casting, and then fiddle about with a couple of nuts on the solenoid threaded bit. (You'd never guess that I used to write technical manuals for a living...)

It would also explain why (to a certain extent) it works when cold. Things have not expanded as much.

Worth a check.

Charlie D.

Pete,

Ahhh…

Sorry about that.

Confusing the “J-Type” with the “A-Type”

Except…

Just been to look at my “A-Type” in the corner of the garage and realized that there is not a “thingy” that you push a drill bit through. (Well there is some type of overdrive where you do that.)

Worse still, I discovered that there is not a place to bolt my solenoid to! (Just a jagged piece of ally casting where the bracket used to be.)

Another 50 quid I need to spend …

I wish I’d never tried to answer this problem.

Charlie D