leak from brake master cylinder

Hi knowledgeable college's,

I had a small weep from the brake master cylinder to servo on my 6, so thinking it was the reservoir seal perished I went all out and decided to change the whole cylinder. The reason behind this was the car had been off the road for four years being restored by the previous owner, a few weeks after buying it the clutch slave cylinder failed and as I was unsure of the internal condition of the mc seals, I can deal with the clutch not working but not the brakes. On changing it this week end I had problems with bleeding the brakes, only to find the leak was a lot worse with the new cylinder fitted, It was all new fluid escaping as it was a different colour to the old, it was mineral type,

Could the seal on the new cylinder be faulty to allow fluid to get this far

Your advise is most appreciated

Regards

Duncan

I had the same problem, I tried to repair my leaking master cylinder with new seals, but it was still leaking. Then I decided to buy a new cylinder, fitted that and guess what? Still leaking, this time it was not leaking out at the back but from the side where the plastic meets the metal near one of the screws, ok got that replaced from the same supplier and third time lucky, fitted that and it hasn't leaked so far. But it seems like a problem these often leaks?

Magnus

Cheers Magnus,

I rang the supplier today and they are getting back to me tomorrow, but one of the parts people said they had problems with these before and thought they had stopped supplying them,

It was only a slight weep before but it is quite a lot worse now,

Thanks for your reply,

Duncan

Hi Duncan,

there were a great deal of posts on here about 2 or 3 years ago regarding leaking master cylinders.

Some were sent back to be investigated. Not sure what the answer was but subsequently they improved and didn;t leak.

Yours may be old stock.

Roger

Hi Roger,

I have been told exactly this from the supplier today and I am sending it back for investigation as it may be a rogue one that has sat on the shelf and got through,

Thank you for your reply have read many of your replies in the past for other queries,

Regards

Duncan

I will let you know the supplier once they have had chance to investigate the cylinder I have sent back today, They have been very good to me in the past and I do not want to give any bad publisity towards them, if anyone is changing one within the next week or so I can PM them,

For info though it was a Lucas imbosssd part but they were taken over I am being told by a Chinese company that bought the name,

Regards

Duncan

If you do a search on here you will find we went through all this with a batch of TRW cylinders a while ago of which most were supplied by Rimmers with a few coming from Moss as well, there was a bit of an investigation at the time but no real conclusion was reached apart from the possibility of a batch failure in the machining. It was sort of swept under the carpet really.

Stuart.

Hi Duncan!

Keep the old M/C and send it to Past Parts for them to sleeve the bore with a S/S Tube. No more corrosion or erosion of the bore, hence life expectance of the seals very greatly extended . Also they can supply a complete set of new seals which are made in the UK.

Bruce.

Hi Stuart/Bruce

It is a TRW part that was supplied to me so it may well be an old one on the shelf that has sat there since the original fault was identified,The supplier did say they have not sold one for nearly 2 years so it would tie up with the last incident of faulty ones, but I was told they were informed by TRW the fault had been rectified,

It was not Rimmers or Moss that supplied this one, I hope they have a good one if mine cannot be replaced,

Having it repaired may be an option for me if I cannot get a replacement,

Thank you guys for the information

Kind Regards

Duncan